2.8.0.0 Freezes

V2 error reports
N3PPH
Novice Class

Re: 2.8.0.0 Freezes

Post by N3PPH »

Glad you found a workaround. I looked it up and found some are having issues with the app throttling their speed. They have an uninstall tool that removes the app and on reboot windows will install drivers. My Dell is a bit older 8790 and uses Realtek network card. Starting to see why this is such a nightmare for the programmers to track down. Hopefully this thread will help others with the problem to get working again.

Bob N3PPH
AD8FD
Novice Class

Post by AD8FD »

I have had this happen a couple times today after upgrading to 2.9.0.0, I have generated a support request...where should I send the zip?
vk1hx
Advanced Class

Post by vk1hx »

I am not sure if my lockup issue is the same as reported in this thread.

What I've notices over the last 3 versions (2.7, 2.8 and 2.9) Log4OM v2 will lockup (become unresponsive to any mouse selection even the close button) and I have to use Task Manager to force closure of the program. It will do this at random times and is hard to pinpoint the issue specific to a PC State (such as inactivity for a long period etc).

When Log4OM v2 locks up, it locks up JTDX and holds my Radio (IC7300 or ANAN) and AMP (SPE1.5K FA) in transmit, however no output power, if I was TX'ing at the time. Once I force the closure of Log4OM v2 the relays in the Radio and AMP can be heard clicking (releasing).

I have tried various versions of JTDX (v2.1.0 rc146 to 152, 32bit and 64bit versions) and it is the same. Once I revert Log4OM v2 back to v2.6.1.0, I can not reproduce the issue, it all runs without issues.

I have tried some of the recommendations mentioned in the user manual, such as running all applications associated with Log4OM v2, in exclusive admin mode. Same issue occurred. For now I will stick with v2.6.1.0.

I recently built a new PC systems, specs are: Intel i9 - 9900K CPU, 32G-RAM, Samsung 970 M.2 SSD, GPU = NVidia - GTX1070-8G Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus Formula, Power Supply - Thermaltake 1000w, Water cooling, etc etc.

73' Phil - VK1HX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

This sounds like RF in the shack because its different to all other reports of freezing.

I recently built a new PC and whereas I had not had RF issues before I suddenly found the PC locked up and it ended up being just one lead that was picking up RF which a ferrite ring cured
73 Terry G4POP
vk1hx
Advanced Class

Post by vk1hx »

G4POP wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 06:30 This sounds like RF in the shack because its different to all other reports of freezing.

I recently built a new PC and whereas I had not had RF issues before I suddenly found the PC locked up and it ended up being just one lead that was picking up RF which a ferrite ring cured
It is definitely NOT RF in the shack, it does it while just running in standby mode and no TX. Version 2.6.1.0 does not have an issue. Maybe I should have clarified the issue in more details. When the PC has been sitting idle for some time and I come back to continue transmitting on FT8 etc, it has locked up and then I get the issue I mentioned earlier. This situation seems to be a confusion/corruption within the rig control data being communicated between omnirig / radio / logging program.

The PC dose not lock up, all other applications not connected to Log4OM functions fine without issues. Its Log4OM that locks up and is unresponsive. You have to kill Log4OM process off in Task Manager.

All USB power suspend options have been turned off in Device Manager, PC Power options set to high performance so nothing goes to sleep. All PC sleep options are turned off.

Its all good, I'll just run with the old version.
Thanks
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

When the PC has been sitting idle for some time and I come back to continue transmitting on FT8 etc, it has locked up and then I get the issue I mentioned earlier.
So the program is left idling with FT8 also running and communicating with Log4OM?

If you would like to assist us to find this issue then contact Lele or me via email (Email is on QRZ) and we will send you a special release with more debug code to test and report on.

Alternatively continue to use 2.6 until we find a resolution, this may take some time because we are unable to emulate this problem that only seems to affect a very few users.

Just one final question, what make of PC are you using HP, Acer, Lenovo, Dell etc?
73 Terry G4POP
vk1hx
Advanced Class

Post by vk1hx »

Terry,

The make of PC is my own build, not an "off the shelf" one. I've been building PC's for 15 years and provide remote desktop support to many users.

I have just reinstalled v2.9.0.0 to test again some different settings. Happy for you to send me a version to capture debug coding which hopefully picks up what's going on. Likewise my email on QRZ is good.

Also noticing with each version of Log4OM v2, when leaving program configuration without making any changes, Log4OM is reading the radio however the "BAND" info is removed and I get a red box with a yellow exclamation saying "Out of Band", however the frequency readout at the top of Log4OM shows the radio's freq, interesting. If I move the VFO in the radio it picks up the band information and the red box clears.

I'll send you an email now.

Thanks
Phil - VK1HX
vk1hx
Advanced Class

Post by vk1hx »

G4POP wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 06:45
When the PC has been sitting idle for some time and I come back to continue transmitting on FT8 etc, it has locked up and then I get the issue I mentioned earlier.
So the program is left idling with FT8 also running and communicating with Log4OM?
Yes that is correct.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Any users that are still experiencing a program freeze/lockups that would like to try a pre release with refined code please email me direct.

Write to g4pop (at) arrl.net
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

So we only have 2 users suffering from lockups?
73 Terry G4POP