Odd distances in Cluster screen

V2 error reports
M0XYG
Advanced Class

Odd distances in Cluster screen

Post by M0XYG »

Hi,
I don't know how these distances are calculated but there appear too be many stations with the same distance calculation figure for this not to be an anomaly with the program?
Attached shows the screen print I had today of the USA contest showing what I see.
Checking a few of the USA call signs listed that they 'all' appear to have different grid squares on QRZ but all show the same distance from me in the cluster screen.
If it's not a problem I'm not sure why these would all show the same distances unless its by design?

Thanks all.
Attachments
Odd distances in Cluster.doc
(192.5 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Odd distances in Cluster screen

Post by G4POP »

If there is not a locator to work with we use the centre of the country to calculate the distance and rough beam heading
73 Terry G4POP
M0XYG
Advanced Class

Re: Odd distances in Cluster screen

Post by M0XYG »

Hi Terry.
That's a part way toward it but its not the full issue here.
I use a 6 digit locator and quickly checking QRZ certainly the following US stations from that screenshot all have full locators too. For example.
K5PI - EM10cf
N7DD - DM42lj
K4AB - EM64rx
N2RC - FN21sk
W1GD - FN42bi
All these stations showed 6970km distance in the cluster screen.

Just a really basic calculation finding the 'rough' centre of America from London (LA-NY/2+NY= 7161.5km) to check my thoughts and appreciating London isn't centre of England but close enough to within 100 to 200km.

Taking that London to New York as the crow flies is about 5570km and London to LA is about 8753km then the distance output from LOG4OM at 6970km is not far off the distance calculated at 7162km so that feels about right. It looks like therefore that the output in the cluster screen is ignoring the stations locator anyway and doing only country centre to country centre calculations regardless, so that might need a look at to correct it if appropriate and not what is expected in the Cluster screen.

Thanks
Marc
M0XYG