IOTA and V2

General discussions V2
F1ABL
Advanced Class

IOTA and V2

Post by F1ABL »

Hi all, first HNY to all .

In the new version V2 I cannot find the IOTA column in Recents QSO.

If I enter a QSO manually, in the station information there is no IOTA function as in version 1 of Log4OM.

Maybe I have not seen this IOTA function or column.

Can you tell me how I should proceed to find the information or the IOTA column of the log.

Thanks Michel F1ABL
F1ABL Michel JN24of
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: IOTA and V2

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Michel,

in the Layout table IOTA isn´t implemented yet. There will be more possibilities in future
updates of Log4OM.

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Enter the other stations IOTA ref in the input UI F3 Awards ref tab

Enter your IOTA ref in the Settings/Program Configuration/My References tab

View Award statistics and select IOTA to see IOTA worked information

IOTA.JPG
IOTA.JPG (69.9 KiB) Viewed 4948 times
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

I'm taking advantage of this discussion to talk about this topic, which I knew would come up.

Log4OM v1 was based, in structure and data, on the information in the ADIF file, and showed that information. The ADIF protocol, however, has, in my opinion, some big problems of consistency that have grown over the years. For example, it introduces some fields related to some specific awards (DOK, IOTA, SOTA) in an explicit way, forgetting completely some awards that, over the years, have assumed the same size, the same follow up and the same importance.

For this reason Log4OM V2, which adopts an award management engine completely guided by configuration and without a single line of specific code, could not favour one or two awards not giving the same importance to all the others.

In Log4OM V2 we "detached" ourselves from the logic of the ADIF protocol (which we use and fully support) in the user interface design.

If we had not taken this step, a large amount of information that we collect, export and manage would still be linked to the concept of the "ADIF" fields. Log4OM is perfectly capable of reading and exporting the required ADIF fields, including SOTA and IOTA (although we will propose to include dynamic fields for the management of all awards without distinction and deprecation of the IOTA and SOTA fields in a future version).

Log4OM through the function of the FILTERS is however able to extract and show, in grid, all the QSOs that result to have references of the type selected by the user, not limited to IOTA or SOTA, but extended to all the awards that today and in the future we will support.

I know it's a "big impact" on who were habit to have this field at a glance, but it's a design choice made to correct a previous error
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
F1ABL
Advanced Class

Post by F1ABL »

Ok Jurgen,

For a futur implementation.
I think half of the 98 column proposals will never be used.
I would have preferred an IOTA column rather than one that is useless "Class", "Precedence", "QSO random" ect ..
We stay a next uddate !

73 Michel
F1ABL Michel JN24of
F1ABL
Advanced Class

Post by F1ABL »

Hi Terry,

Terry, I was talking about the station information that is updated from QRZ.com, registered version, like the locator and the IOTA.

I do not necessarily want to participate in Adwards It is still better when we have the information in front of us by consulting the QSO page of Log4OM as in version 1

73 Michel
Last edited by F1ABL on 19 Jan 2020, 14:24, edited 3 times in total.
F1ABL Michel JN24of
F1ABL
Advanced Class

Post by F1ABL »

Hi Daniele,

You made a great machine with version 2, I'm just a simple user, not a computer technician.

I don't want to question all the work you had to produce for this version 2, I just give you my impression

The compatibility of programs like JTAlert, Ultimate ACC, JTDX (and others) that I used with version 1 has been forgotten.

While waiting for an update of V2 can be a version 3 which would take into account all these incompatibility problems.

like most of the Log4OM users I know, I go back to Log4OM version 1 which works very well.

Thanks for all your job.

73 Michel
F1ABL Michel JN24of
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Michael,
we have a lot of capabilities in Log4OM but we cannot change other applications.
JTAlert is not supporting (actually) our version 2, and it's not an issue of Log4OM 2 but simply Laurie didn't had enough time to make JTAlert compatible.

We're talking with each other, but in case of JTAlert, is that software that comes into our database searching for data. Our system is open, but we can't update other applications.
By the way i'm using JTDX perfectly with JTAlert and Log4OM.
I simply configured JTAlert to broadcast ADIF via UDP and configured a listener here (it's a generic JTAlert function i'm using), so i'm receiving QSO from JTDX through JTAlert flawlessy.
More, i configured JTAlert to rebroadcast JT messages so i'm also able to read JT Messages coming from JTDX and show the callsign on Log4OM lookup.
I'm missing JTAlert statistics but, again, is something they must update, if they want.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH