window positions

General discussions V2
W2GTR
Novice Class

window positions

Post by W2GTR »

The new version of the program is really great! One of the best features for me is the ability to open some additional windows and place them where I want them on the screen.

But once I close Log4om and then open it again, none of the windows that I've placed around the screen appear automatically. I have to open each one again individually. When I do that, most of the windows appear in the previous position at the previously arranged size. The exception is the cluster view window. That one has to be resized and moved to where I want it each time.

Is there any way to set up a screen layout and then save it so that next time I open Log4om it opens with all the windows where I want them.

Thanks again for a fantastic update.
73 Ed w2xk
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: window positions

Post by G4POP »

No that is coded in but difficult to get right especially for people with two monitors.

There was an app mentioned that overcame this but I can't recall it's name, perhaps a search of the forum might reveal it.
73 Terry G4POP
M0VON
Novice Class

Post by M0VON »

I was going to post on this subject too.

Loving V2 and the new GUI. Many thanks and congratulations to all involved.

I find that my windows do remember their position when they are reopened (I only use it on one monitor), with the exception of the Memory Minder window, however the display/hide status of the windows isn't remembered so each window has to be opened manually each session. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it would be nice if starting Log4OM would return the entire desktop to it's last state. Also, if the cluster window would remember the show/hide state of the filter panel.

I know you have more important things to do right now, but perhaps something to consider for the future ?

Graham
M0VON
Graham, M0VON
W2GTR
Novice Class

Post by W2GTR »

I know this has been answered previously, but I wanted to mention this item again. Starting in v2.3, some of the window positions were being saved so that when I re-opened the program, the windows would appear where I placed them previously. But that ability has been slipping away in the last couple of versions and now only the main window size and position are saved, the sub windows need to be sized and placed each time I open Log4OM.

I like to use Log4OM with 4 windows showing - the main interface, the cluster view, the worked before window, and the cluster alerts window. Each time I open the program, I have to resize these windows and place them where I want them on the screen.

When I use other programs with multiple windows (e.g. wsjtx or n1mm), each pane appears in the proper location and size each time I open them. It would be very convenient if window positions were saved and maybe even automatically re-opened when starting Log4OM.

I searched for the app which was mentioned to save window positions but could not find it. In any case, thanks for the latest update.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

You did not state what version you are now using. Please, everyone, no posts without your VERSION number!

Also, please sign your post with your name.

If you are not on the latest release, 2.6.1.0, please update and report back.

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
W2GTR
Novice Class

Post by W2GTR »

Sorry for leaving that out. I'm using 2.6.1.0.

Ed
w2xk
w0ls
Advanced Class

Post by w0ls »

The program that saves window position and size is called "WindowManager" and is available from "desksoft.com". I just tried it and it seems to work very well.

Harry
W0LS
W2GTR
Novice Class

Post by W2GTR »

Thanks Harry,
I'll check it out.
Ed
w2xk
W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP »

w0ls wrote: 16 May 2020, 15:10 The program that saves window position and size is called "WindowManager" and is available from "desksoft.com". I just tried it and it seems to work very well.

Harry
W0LS
Is the program free?
Mike-W2MJP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Ed,

Thanks for providing the version info.

Log4OM v2.6.1.0 should open each of these windows in their previous location and size. However, they won't open automatically - yet. That's been a requested feature for some time. Hopefully Daniele can work that in.

How are you opening the separate Cluster window? I use the Cluster tool bar icon on the Main UI. It opens in its previous position and size, every time.

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA