Country file- KG4x and KG4XXX not Gitmo

General discussions V2
NS8K
Advanced Class

Re: Country file- KG4x and KG4XXX not Gitmo

Post by NS8K »

Jim,

Thank you for checking some more. There may be differences between looking up calls already worked vs a "new one". I have been checking "new ones" and always see US and DXCC 291 unless the call is a KG4 2x2.

Could you quickly rattle through all of the 2x1 KG4 calls and note if any show other than US? It would be 26 calls of course.

This morning I maintained the country.xml file to remove the KG4 Guantanamo Bay section and then keyed in some random 2x1 and 2x3 calls. They all showed US as they did before but the left map showed their QTH correctly, wherever it was, not just in the center of the country! Of course, this would make all of the 2x2's also be US and NOT Gitmo so it is no solution but interesting to me if not anybody else. I couldn't figure out the .xml syntax to match up only a KG4 2x2 to Gitmo but maybe someone out there knows how to do that? Still not a solution because this document gets updated but again, interesting if only academic!
73 - Tom NS8K
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Tom,

I keyed in all of the possible KH6X calls. The only ones that showed as US were KG4V & KG4W. I also typed in some KG4XXX calls that I haven't worked, and they all show Gitmo.

I don't use QZX lookups (or lookups from any other source), but that shouldn't be a factor. The country (in my case) comes from the cty file, with Clublog as the backup.

Jim N6VH
NS8K
Advanced Class

Post by NS8K »

N6VH wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 20:48 Tom,

I keyed in all of the possible KH6X calls. The only ones that showed as US were KG4V & KG4W. I also typed in some KG4XXX calls that I haven't worked, and they all show Gitmo.

I don't use QZX lookups (or lookups from any other source), but that shouldn't be a factor. The country (in my case) comes from the cty file, with Clublog as the backup.

Jim N6VH
Jim,

Thanks again for taking the time. I did not realize you were not using QRZ or HAMQTH to do lookups. I disabled those lookups and can duplicate your results. You may have noticed this but KG4V & KG4W get matches in Club Log:
Clublog.png
Clublog.png (22.71 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
I'm quite sure that's why they show US instead of Gitmo. None of the other 2x1 KG4 calls get a match in Club Log. Although I've been a ham for 50 years, I don't know how Club Log works so I'm at the end of my rope there but it does seem to provide DXCC information. I don't know what the City file does either although I opened the file in an editor to find KG4CUY is in there. Keying that call in doesn't seem to do much, still shows Gitmo. Again, I don't understand it. Maybe the user manual will shed some light.

So, I'm not sure what I've learned here other than the KG4 2x2 calls issued by the Navy goofs up Log4OM for KG4 2x1 and 2x3 calls.

You may have reasons for not using a lookup service but HAMQTH works nearly as well as QRZ and there is no cost for it. I used it until recently when I sprung for QRZ because it seem to have more foreign station entries. HAMQTH works well though, I'd recommend it especially for US calls.

Again, thanks!
73 - Tom NS8K
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Tom,

I used the Call Tester function on ClubLog.com, and the KH6XXX and KH6X calls that I entered all showed as USA. Like you I'm not certain how ClubLog files and cty files are handled. I did not find those calls in the clublog.xml file in the Log4OM configuration folder. I checked N1MM+, and those calls showed up in the correct location.

I don't use a lookup service most of the time, because there are errors there also. In some cases the data isn't there (zones for example). I do have a paid subscription with QRZ, and I have also used HAMQTH.

We shouldn't have to rely on lookup services to get the correct country.

After sending this, I decided to enable lookups from QRZ & HAMQTH. The KG4XXX calls do show as USA. I will leave the lookups enabled for awhile, and see how it goes.

Jim N6VH
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

I checked Log4OM v1. It is not set to do lookups from QRZ, HAMQTH, etc. KG4X & KG4XXX calls show up as US, while KG4XX calls show as GITMO. All good there. Something about this has changed in v2.

Jim N6VH