Performance issue / question

General discussions V2
K5YE
Novice Class

Performance issue / question

Post by K5YE »

on log4om v2 I appear to have general computer performance issues after leaving log4om running for extended period of times. I don't recall every seeing this with the older version v1.

I have a powerful computer i7. its basically could be a gaming computer. 32g memory etc.

When I notice the general slowness. I stop and restart log4om and everything is back to normal.
after running log4 v2 for a while it appears to gradually use much more resources.

I have attached a graph with the computer running log4om v2 and other apps. after stopping just log4om usage goes way down. Then a restart of log4om v2 and the usage says at a reasonable level again.
not while I was doing this log4om was not being used, no logging, searching etc... just sitting there, I was not interacting with it.

Wonder if anyone has noticed this. I have just got in the habit of restarting log4om v2 at least daily now to keep the impact down. I have not done any further digging and I am not quite sure how gradual this is.. meaning how many hours it takes to get to this point. My stuff runs 24x7 monitoring bands etc.

Thanks,
Will
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Performance issue / question

Post by G4POP »

Will,
Even without your intervention Log4om will have a processing overhead, this is due to the enourmouse ammount of processing being done with incoming cluster spots not just being processed but each one being checked against various data resources.

So the overhead will vary with the number of spots being receive and the use of RBN spots amplifies that.

Try checking with the cluster dissabled and see what happens, let us know the result please.
73 Terry G4POP
9k2od
Novice Class

Post by 9k2od »

hi to all

also im having this problem computer to slow and the log not responses... im using very high computer system .... on log4om v2 I appear to have general computer performance issues after leaving log4om running for extended period of times.

wich is not in version v1. its still working fine ...

When I notice the general slowness. I stop and restart log4om and everything is back to normal.

all ham in kuwait they haveing the same problome and they will change the log soon ...or go back to the V1

for my self i will go back to the V1 from today ...

9k2od, osama

Thanks,
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

9k2od wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 21:32 hi to all

also im having this problem computer to slow and the log not responses... im using very high computer system .... on log4om v2 I appear to have general computer performance issues after leaving log4om running for extended period of times.

wich is not in version v1. its still working fine ...

all ham in kuwait they haveing the same problome and they will change the log soon ...or go back to the V1

for my self i will go back to the V1 from today ...

9k2od, osama

Thanks,
Osama,

This appears to be close to your first request for support about this on the V2 Forum. Don't you think it would be appropriate and collect all your data and observations and then reach out for support? We have a pretty extensive team who are willing to help you and all other OMs out with issues being experienced. There are also many OMs who might have had your similar experience and be willing to share as well.

You noted "all ham in kuwait they haveing the same problome and they will change the log soon ...or go back to the V1" Are you the chosen representative for the other Kuwaiti OMs? Are they having the same, precise problem you have noted? Are their station configurations precisely the same as yours?

I suggest that you collect the information as it relates to "your" station and present that for support and lets get the ball rolling to resolve ... hopefully on a positive note for you.

Thanks for using Log4OM V2.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
9k2od
Novice Class

Post by 9k2od »

dear Nolan

Initially, I am one of the first users of this program in Kuwait, and also supporters of this program, Many local amateurs are taking information from me about this software , and I also i chose it to be the official program in the courses that I offer to amateurs in Kuwait in training classes and Through my work, the Kuwaiti Amateur Radio Society . And if i speak the language of the gathering, that because we love the log4om software and appreciation for all of its Those in charge, and that the program appear in the required image

And secondly
After speaking about amateurs, I am completely confident that I express public opinion regarding about the software log4om

please stay safe and I wish you a happy day

thanks
9k2od, Osama
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Osama,

Thanks for your excellent input and support. I can assure you it is sincerely appreciated.

With respect to your current V2 experiences if you can further detail them with additional information needed so we can better help and trouble-shoot it will be most appreciated.

We want every OMs experience to be pleasant and to get the best use of V2.

We're currently testing another update with 'bug-fixes' for issues that OMs have noted over the past span of time.

Here is a link to an FAQ post the Doug posted regarding information that we need to best support you.

Thanks again for your reply.

https://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4648
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
K5YE
Novice Class

Post by K5YE »

So I have tried several things and still have performance issues. I have turned off Cluster, and CAT control. The QSL manager screen is very slow refreshing. After saving a QSO the screen goes (non responding) sometimes.. all this with nothing else running on my I7 with 32g memory. When I have a few other things running it so slow its almost unusable. I used v1 for a few years and don't every recalling having these kinds of performance issues.
My log is not a monster log, <5000 qso. using SQL lite.
I also have the app, database file, and application folder all completely excluded from my AV software.

Any suggestions on helping this work faster?

Will
K5YE
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Will,
I suspect you have some corrupt files, so please try this

1. Make a backup and close Log4OM
2. In your c:\..........\users\Your user name\appdata\roaming folder rename logom2 to logom2OLD
3. Uninstall Log4om
4. Do a fresh download and clean install
5. Create a new database and import the Backup ADIF file that you saved in step 1

To help you set up the new install you can open the config.json that was saved with the backup in notepad and it contains all of your user names and passwords etc

If you need further help or need me to have a TeamViewer session with you then email me
73 Terry G4POP
K5YE
Novice Class

Post by K5YE »

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Will
K5YE
Novice Class

Post by K5YE »

ok I did the reinstall instructions. I also found a setting when I was going through this that I think was causing most of my issue.
So between the two, things are much better.

The setting that made the most difference... the default row count appears to be 5000 for the qso qsl manager pages etc.. I changed that setting to 100 and its working much better. my log is near 5000 QSOs.. so if I left one of those screens open and did a qso, when they refreshed it was loading the whole log. If I want to see the whole log or more that 100, I can always change it on that screen in the bottom left and override the 100.
I thought I had messed this up and set that to 5000 but it was set to 5000 on the clean install. So maybe a lower default would work better for some.

Thanks,
Will