Expert SunSDR2 DX

General discussions V2
F5VAI
Novice Class

Expert SunSDR2 DX

Post by F5VAI »

I wonder if LOG4OM will be implementing TCI, which Expert Electronics favour over the standard CAT system? https://eesdr.com/en/support-en/article ... -interface I am a supporter of Log4OM, but my new SunSDR2 DX doesn't want to talk to LOG4OM via Omnirig.

I have recently been convinced to change from Flex to the SunSDR2 DX by a number of prominent DXers here in France and I have to say it is an astonishing piece of kit. Not only the build quality, but the overall operation of the software is most impressive.

I do hope this is something that you will consider.

73, Andy F5VAI
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Expert SunSDR2 DX

Post by G4POP »

They seem to have arrangements with mixw and n1mm but have never contacted us!

You could interface with N1MM for logging and use our connection to N1MM so the qso's also get logged by Log4OM

It's unlikely we will implement this custom system anytime soon as we have plenty of other things to add to log4om.

Perhaps Expert would like to add Omnirig so that their users can use software that Expert have not contacted?
73 Terry G4POP
F5VAI
Novice Class

Post by F5VAI »

Thanks Terry. They do have Omnirig as an option, but I cannot get it to work. They suggested meanwhile to use SDC, which is an app by Yuri Pavlov UT4LW - a bit like DDUtils. Will give that a try.

If there are any other SunSDR2 users out there I would like to hear if you have managed a connection via Omnirig.

73, Andy F5VAI
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

F5VAI wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 14:41 but my new SunSDR2 DX doesn't want to talk to LOG4OM via Omnirig.
Hi Andy, what is the CAT protocol of your TRX ? I´m using different transceivers
which using TS-2000 protocol and i think the SUN isn´t so far away. Check out
the Manual and the CAT for your SunSDR. Think you will have a good chance
to get it connected. By the way, having a Adalm Pluto running with V2.

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

F5VAI wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 16:48 Thanks Terry. They do have Omnirig as an option, but I cannot get it to work. They suggested meanwhile to use SDC, which is an app by Yuri Pavlov UT4LW - a bit like DDUtils. Will give that a try.

If there are any other SunSDR2 users out there I would like to hear if you have managed a connection via Omnirig.

73, Andy F5VAI
Remember you must run all associated software and Omnirig to Run as an administrator otherwise it won't work
73 Terry G4POP
F5VAI
Novice Class

Post by F5VAI »

Yes, everything as admin. The Expert Electronics guys are very much into updating their software to improve it and very helpful in replying. I initially got it working, but then an update seemed to cause a problem, however, I am not 100% sure as I had had a com port problem having uninstalled the Flex. I have now done a clean install of Win 10 64, so that I know everything is OK my end.

They are very much into TCI. I did look at Swisslog, which uses TCI, but it was just too complicated for my little grey cells at my age!

Juergen it's CAT protocol is Kenwood 840. Will keep trying.

73, Andy F5VAI
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Try the ts2000 or ts480
73 Terry G4POP
F5VAI
Novice Class

Post by F5VAI »

Following on from my previous email regarding the suggestion by Expert Electronics to use SDC a free utility like DDUtils by Yuri Pavlov UT4LW, this worked straight away and has been completely stable.

For other owners of the SunSDR2 DX this is my setup:

For the virtual ports I am using VSP Manager V1.0.3.01 by K5FR, though you can also use the free Com0com virtual port software, if you prefer.
SDC (Software Defined Connectors) V12.20x64.
Omnirig V1.19

Do not use SunSDR2 DX's ExpertSD2 CAT connections at all, either com ports or Omnirig connections. Instead use SDC. In the TCI menu use TCI Client 1, then select RIG Emulator and select the primary virtual com port for Rx1 that you are using and then second pair primary for RX2. In Omnirig select Rig type as TS-480, the secondary virtual port for Rx1 that you are using, Speed 115200, Data Bits 8, Parity None, Stop Bits 1, RTS High, DTR High, Poll int 100, and Timeout 4000.

I now have ExpetSDR2 triggering to start SDC and LOG4OM and it all works flawlessly.

SDC also has a CW Skimmer built in, which is much faster than Alex's VE3NEA version. Added to this lots of other goodies, a really good piece of software.

I also have WSJTX and GridTracker all working fine.

I hope this is of some help to SunSDR2 DX owners.

73, Andy F5VAI
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Log4OM in 2.16 release now works with tci 1.5 for cat and cw

Inviato dal mio SM-A715F utilizzando Tapatalk

Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH