GRID Square Overwriting

General discussions V2
G8LIY
Advanced Class

GRID Square Overwriting

Post by G8LIY »

Hi,

In settings there is an option: [X] Overwrite User Grid Square in Main UI

But the Help(?) explanation seems to indicate the opposite to it's usage "this will not be overwritten"

Grid-Overwrite.PNG
Grid-Overwrite.PNG (6.77 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
So if the option is ticked [X] is the Grid Square over written or not..??

Many Thanks Dave ~ G8LIY
Windows 10 Pro & LOG4OM - V2.29.0
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: GRID Square Overwriting

Post by G4POP »

If the box in the config/external services/EQSL is checked then the grid square received from EQSL during an EQSL download overwrites the grid square already recorded in the logbook for that existing QSO. You will note the check box is in the area where you are setting up the download and upload of confirmations for LOTW, EQSL etc - Nothing to do with the QSO input field for the grid square.

Whereas you are displaying the tool tip related to the grid square input field in the main user interface during QSO input (Note the tool tip is for the field headed "......Grid square in main UI") which does NOT get overwritten by details found by ON LINE lookup during a QSO input.

If the user inserts a grid reference in the Locator field during QSO input it will not be modified by data received from the on line lookup source e.g. QRZ, HamQTH etc. unless the box is checked.

The reason for this is clearly because the other station may not be at his home QTH but operating portable on a SOTA activation or similar and it is the locator applicable to that location which was probably exchanged during the QSO which is correct, not the locator relevant to the other persons home QTH, as is usually found during on line lookup.

So bottom line is:

1. The Config check box relates to the EQSL download of confirmations and the user guide is quiet correct in that respect.

2. The tool tip relates to the locator field in the QSO input UI and is also correct
73 Terry G4POP
G8LIY
Advanced Class

Post by G8LIY »

G4POP wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 10:10 If the box in the config is checked then the grid square received from EQSL during an EQSL download overwrites the grid square already recorded in the logbook for that existing QSO. You will note the check box is in the area where you are setting up the download and upload of confirmations for LOTW, EQSL etc - Nothing to do with the QSO input field for the grid square.

Whereas you are displaying the tool tip related to the grid square input field in the main user interface during QSO input (Note the tool tip is headed "......Grid square in main UI") which does NOT get overwritten by details found by ON LINE lookup during a QSO input.

If the user inserts a grid reference in the Locator field during QSO input it will not be modified by data received from the on line lookup source e.g. QRZ, HamQTH etc.

The reason for this is clearly because the other station may not be at his home QTH but operating portable on a SOTA activation or similar and it is the locator applicable to that location which was probably exchanged during the QSO which is correct, not the locator relevant to the other persons home QTH, as is usually found during on line lookup.

So bottom line is:

1. The Config check box relates to the EQSL download of confirmations and the user guide is quiet correct in that respect.

2. The tool tip relates to the locator field in the QSO input UI and is also correct
Hi Terry,

Many thanks for a detailed explanation... However this is now even more confusing.
I'm not on the Upload / Download Confirmation Screen...

I'm on the User Preferences > General preferences screen,
there is no reference(mention) of this being related to eQSL Downloads..??
See a full screen shot... with the Hint Pop-Up moved to show all fields.

L4O-UserPreferenceScreen.PNG
L4O-UserPreferenceScreen.PNG (72.19 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

Best Regards... David
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

OK

This is the setting referred to in the user guide and it refers to overwriting an existing locator IF the incoming confirmation from EQSL is different to that already recorded for a QSO, as explained in my last post

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (90.09 KiB) Viewed 1796 times

Separate and nothing to do with the passage in the user guide is this one with the adjacent tool tip that you refer to, it is relevant to the QSO UI details input function

Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (86.82 KiB) Viewed 1796 times

The tool tip and previous screen shot refers to a locator entered here while adding the QSO and before saving it

Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg (213.31 KiB) Viewed 1796 times

Bottom line is the user guide is correct and refers to the top image (EQSL Confirmation downloads)

The tool tip is also correct because it refers to a different function (Entry of a locator and the updating thereof by on line lookup)!

You could always try checking and unchecking the box having entered a locator, IN THE QSO INPUT UI before saving the QSO, to see the effect?
73 Terry G4POP
G8LIY
Advanced Class

Post by G8LIY »

Hi Terry,

Again,,, Many thanks and understood.

The reason for my query,
Currently running QRP WSJT-X standalone, not configured yet to pass QSO's into Log4OM until I understand how everything works.

I recently had 3 QSO's that looked a bit odd, after a while you get a "feel" for callsigns & grids.
I want to understand how they would have been processed, if passed from WSJT-X directly to Log4OM, just an FYI..

1. AA7 Call, I thought of West, AZ, OR, WA maybe New State, but then noticed FN31 Grid, East Coast'ish NY(?)
QRZ details gave a OR Grid, but then reading the bio indicated currently in NY...
emailed, got a thank you, Bio updated, OR Grid "removed", it notes LoTW contains correct State/Grid, not an eQSL user

2. PY1 call, Grid didn't look right, looked up on QRZ, Grid did not match Bio...
emailed, got a Thank you, QRZ is now updated, and I got a "bonus" SA IOTA in the process :D

3. OX3 call, looked up on QRZ, Details give a certain Grid & IOTA
The Bio indicates he moves around OX , It gave his planned/current(?) Grid/IOTA between certain dates,
which fitted with when I worked him, but then it said delayed,, emailed for conf, no response yet.
Uses LoTW and "Occasionally eQSL"

I realise this may all seem trivial, but my background makes me look at things like this :geek: :ugeek:

Best 73 - Dave