Several Questions (Newbie here)

General discussions V2
NW7US
Novice Class

Several Questions (Newbie here)

Post by NW7US »

Greetings!

I'm in love with Log4OM. I installed it just a few days ago, as I needed something that could handle what I need in a log book program. Log4OM seems to fit the bill.

First, my setup:

Computer environment: Windows 10
Rig: Icom IC-7610 (using USB interface)
Software: Win4IcomSuite - creating virtual com ports. Com22 is made available for CAT
Log4OM Version: 2.12.0.0
Hamlib 64-bit: 4.1
OmniRig: 1.19

There are a few questions for which I am trying to find answers:

1. Regarding CAT control via Hamlib:

When I attempt to use Hamlib 64-bit CAT with my Icom, the log entry portion does NOT populate with the current frequency and modes. If I switch to Omnirig, these fields DO populate.

Example:

Question: What am I missing in my settings? How do I get Log4OM to work with Hamlib?

2. When I have the Cluster listings up, there are a lot of updates taking place, so the listing flickers and changes. It is very hard to select a row, never the less, click on one to populate the log entry, and tune the rig to the spotted frequency and change the mode. How can I make the updates less frequent?

3. When I double click on a cluster row, to change my rig to that frequency, how do I get my VFO B (sub) to tune to the same as VFO A?

Thanks!
73 de NW7US
+ DXCC: 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m, Mixed, Digital, CW, SSB
+ WAZ, WPX, etc.
+ SKCC:4758s / FISTS:7055 / LICW:653
+ NW7US on YouTube
+ Space weather and radio propagation editor for
  • CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and,
  • The Spectrum Monitor magazine.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Several Questions (Newbie here)

Post by G4POP »

1. Stick with Omnirig because it multi-threds enabling more than one program to use it at the same time

2. Sounds like your using an RBN/Skimmer connected cluster server, try using a different server or stop these RBN spots

3. No way to do that and why do you want to?
73 Terry G4POP
NW7US
Novice Class

Re: Several Questions (Newbie here)

Post by NW7US »

G4POP wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 22:34 1. Stick with Omnirig because it multi-threds enabling more than one program to use it at the same time
If Log4OM actively develops supporting hooks with/to/into Hamlib, (if one ignores the multithreading differences between Omnirig and Hamlib) is there any advantage gained with using Hamlib? The most recent release of Log4OM states,
Release note – Version 2.12.0
⦁ [NEW] Added support to Hamlib 4.2
⦁ [NEW] Added dual VFO hamlib capability by supporting new "VFO mode" parameter (Enable VFO Mode in hamlib configuration screen)
Is the second of those two bullet items related to the first? And, if so, wouldn't dual VFO be a good thing? Or is that already in Log4OM with Omnirig? I don't see, intuitively, a way for me to control VFO B, like setting, swapping with VFO A, etc.
G4POP wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 22:34 2. Sounds like your using an RBN/Skimmer connected cluster server, try using a different server or stop these RBN spots
Ah! Got it. I made some changes, and it seems more tame.
G4POP wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 22:34 3. No way to do that and why do you want to?
There are a number of reasons, some of which include:
  • Dual Diversity -- I sometimes use two antennas to listen to the same signals, and use my two receivers in a way that allows me to vote for the strongest signal of the two receivers.
  • Getting quickly setup for split operation of a DX spot -- if VFO B is automatically set to the same frequency as VFO A, then I can quickly hit SPLIT on my rig, and adjust VFO B to the offset.
73 de NW7US
+ DXCC: 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m, Mixed, Digital, CW, SSB
+ WAZ, WPX, etc.
+ SKCC:4758s / FISTS:7055 / LICW:653
+ NW7US on YouTube
+ Space weather and radio propagation editor for
  • CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and,
  • The Spectrum Monitor magazine.