"Call lookup accuracy"

sp9wpn
Advanced Class

"Call lookup accuracy"

Post by sp9wpn »

Regarding the latest note to users on "Call lookup accuracy". We've discussed this before on v1. Even that I still believe suffixes should be ignored on country lookups, but I understand Log4OM team's approach to support this common mispractice.

Still, could we have an option to "ignore suffix for country lookup"? This would give an option to partially solve the problem.

Wojtek
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: "Call lookup accuracy"

Post by IW3HMH »

Cześć Wojtek
even if your idea will solve a lot of issues, unfortunately prefix (and suffix) are officially supported and endorsed from IARU regulations to identify a callsign outside his call area or country.
Simply ignoring suffixes will make log4om unable to detect "correct" country, that can be identified from prefixes even without any external source, so unfortunately ignoring them completely is not possible :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
sp9wpn
Advanced Class

Post by sp9wpn »

Ciao Daniele,

I dare to differ... and I've done some research on the subject:

First is European international regulation CEPT T/R 61 – 01 which says:
2.3 When transmitting in the visited country the licence holder must use his national call sign preceded by
the call sign prefix of the visited country as indicated in ANNEX 2: and ANNEX 4:. The call sign prefix
and the national call sign must be separated by the character “/” (telegraphy) or the word “stroke”
(telephony).
Link: https://www.ecodocdb.dk/download/2ae38a ... TR6101.pdf

The only exception listed there is OA - Peru.

As second goes pan-American association CITEL with their "International Amateur Radio Permit":
Art 4, 2. When transmitting in the visited country, the IARP holder must use the call sign prefix specified by the visited country and the call sign of the home license separated by the word "stroke" or "/."
and:
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO HOLDER
2. Unless otherwise required by regulations of the country visited, station identification shall be (prefix of the visited country or region thereof) the word “stroke” or “/” followed by the call sign of the license accompanying the IARP.
Link: http://www.oas.org/en/sla/dil/inter_ame ... permit.asp
(IARP and CEPT approvals are mutually recognised)

Some ARRL pages (esp. this form) state it's either suffix or prefix (or even both), but it seems they have no legal grounds for this (I will actually email them right away and ask for a comment).

There are also some bilateral agreements between countries, but I I'm not so desperate to dig them.

73!
Wojtek
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Another exception is Canada. If I go to BC (for example) in Canada, I am required by law to sign N6VH/VE7. VE stations have the same requirement when they visit the US. This is based on a treaty between the US and Canada, and not likely to change any time soon.

Jim N6VH
sp9wpn
Advanced Class

Post by sp9wpn »

Great. Anyone knows more exceptions? We could compile a short list of recognised suffixes.

Wojtek