Going portable with Log4om

General discussions about Log4OM features
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Going portable with Log4om

Post by G4POP »

I have just completed testing Log4om on a Windows 8.1 Tablet and can confirm that the program runs quiet happily using Omnirig for CAT control via my G4ZLP Pro Three interface.

Data modes also worked well with FLDigi by using the RPC/XML connection provided in our Log4om communicator for transmit, receive and logging directly to the Log4om SQLite database.

The Log4om Winkeyer support also worked without issue using either the Winkeyer emulation built into the G4ZLP interface or my K1EL USB keyer.

Internet support for the Log4om cluster was achieved by setting up a hotspot on my mobile phone and connecting the tablet by Wi-Fi to the hotspot. My tablet is not 3G just Wi-Fi)

Because I store my SQLite logbook database on a Google drive (Dropbox would work the same) any QSO’s logged on the tablet are saved to the database and all of my normal computers get updated automatically – No need to export/import an ADIF file when I return home from a portable session.

SOTA, HUMPS, IOTA activators and all portable operators can effortlessly log while in the field and enjoy synchronization of their logbook by using this set up.

My hardware/software is as follows:

Linx 8 inch tablet Intel Atom Quad core processor with 32 Gb storage and 1 Gb RAM running Windows 8.1 (£89.99 from Amazon)

Micro USB to USB female OTG adaptor lead (£12.00 from Maplins)

G4ZLP Digimaster Pro Three CAT/Data/CW/FSK interface (I am sure that any similar interface would also work but I find the ZLP product to be 100% reliable.

I tried this set up with two different radios – Yaesu FT817 and an Icom IC7000 – Both worked fine.

Software: Log4OM – Omnirig – FLDigi

Recommendations:

Life will be easier if the user purchases a folio case with built in Bluetooth keyboard and mouse pad (Or Bluetooth mouse) instead of the tablet on screen keyboard.
Attachments
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG (121.35 KiB) Viewed 15855 times
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG (126.26 KiB) Viewed 15855 times
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Going portable with Log4om

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Terry, this is really awesome :)
i'll prepare an homepage screen for that
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

IW3HMH wrote:Hi Terry, this is really awesome :)
i'll prepare an homepage screen for that
The only problem I can foresee is that if a user is using an interface that draws a lot of current then perhaps the mini usb might struggle? Fortunately my G4ZLP Pro Three does not draw a lot of current so it works OK.

In that situation it can easily be overcome by using a battery powered USB hub
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

One point to watch for when using a Windows tablet and Dropbox!

Do not download the Dropbox app from the Windows store, download and install it using the normal web browser

It seems the Dropbox app is only an Internet connection to the Dropbox website it does not install the dropbox folders on the tablet, therefore Log4om cannot access the sqlite database

Downloading and installing as normal using the web browser works fine and installs all folders as normal on the tablet
73 Terry G4POP
ik2egl
Old Man

Post by ik2egl »

Hi Terry
tnx for the info you are sharing and the good results achieved of course.
I am still using win7 but keeping an eye forward is quite important :D
73 de Don IK2EGL
ik2egl
Old Man

Post by ik2egl »

I have just installed the last log4om release on a windows 8.1 and all is fine :D

:D
73 de Don IK2EGL
m5kvk
Novice Class

Post by m5kvk »

It's not all a bed of roses.

I'm on holiday and bought my KX3 and Bush 8" Windows Tablet with me (including folio case and mouse). I found it impossible to use Log4OM on the tablet itself. It worked, but the screen density is such that it becomes unreadable in even moderate sunlight.

This is largely down to the tablet itself of course. A shiny screen and sunlight do not mix. However, it's partly down to Log4OM .

As I see it, Log4OM is designed to make full use of screen real estate. That's fine on a desktop with a 14+ inch monitor, however, a different design philosphy is needed if one is to be able to actually use the software on a small screen tablet.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Log4OM is a great package. I've switched to using it in preference to HRD; which is what I used to use. However, I need to experiment with the screen layout options to make it more usable.

The only way I found I could use Log4OM was to install Teamviewer and remote control the tablet from my iPad (larger and better screen). This would indicate that Log4OM would be better on a 10" tablet with a better screen. Even then, I found it challenging to enter information correctly on occasion.

I'm now on the search for a better tablet that is usable in sunlight or light shadow. I also need to read more of the manual to see if I can disable some of the screen features.

Gareth - SV8/M5KVK/P
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I use one of these with my Lynx Windows 8.1 tablet/Log4OM and find it works very well

Everyone has problems with screen reflections in sunlight, no matter what the device, tablet,notebook, laptop or full size monitor so until someone produces a unit like the Kindle paperweight that runs Windoze join the club :D
73 Terry G4POP
m5kvk
Novice Class

Post by m5kvk »

I reckon your eyesight must be better than mine then, Terry. For me, 8" is a bit too small. When I get home I'll see if a polarizing filter helps.

I spent some time optimising the screen layout a bit, so I'll try than when I'm on the air in a bit. Now that I found that I can simply type in a call and then tab through the basic fields, before RET to enter, it will be less of a challenge.

I'll get there eventually, but I reckon a 10" tablet will be better. I had to settle for a 10" folio cover anyway, so there's the space in there for one.

The kicker will be if I decide, for work reasons, to buy a Surface 3 Pro or similar.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Well... when Log4OM was born there was not a Windows 8 tablet... It's not a "feature by design" but an opportunity, at least until we don't start working for a dedicated tablet user interface, that is a bit out of the current plans :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH