General discussions about Log4OM features
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Going portable with Log4om

Post by G4POP »

G1YBB wrote:
G4POP wrote:I use one of these with my tablet

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BX0YKX4/r ... P38N4MCFZA
That looks neat. How does the touch pad interact with the screen, is there an app you install to make a pointer like with a mouse?
Touch pad works fine with screen but possibly a little sensitive due to my 8 inch tablet size. I find I use the keyboard and tab keys mostly when entering QSO's

Nothing to install because Windows recognises is as a keyboard/mouse when you pair the Bluetooth
73 Terry G4POP
G1YBB
Old Man

Post by G1YBB »

I am now happily setup portable operating with Log4OM on my Surface Pro 3. I run the portable version from a dropbox folder so I can use the same installation mobile or at home.
Works really well, especially when I have 3G service on my phone, which I then use as a WiFi hotspot.

Normally I am doing this on the floor or in a tent on a SOTA summit, but sometimes I get the luxury of car portable
car portable.jpg
car portable.jpg (175.34 KiB) Viewed 10744 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Nice set up, I like the radio stand, details please?
73 Terry G4POP
G1YBB
Old Man

Post by G1YBB »

G4POP wrote:Nice set up, I like the radio stand, details please?
It's a homemade lightweight two part case I made for keeping the FT-857D safe and sound in the rucksack for SOTA activations.

described here and demo'd in video at bottom.
http://g1ybb.uk/lightweight-carry-case- ... operation/
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

It's not quite the same, but I use "HamLog", an iPhone app, when operating from an overseas QTH. We have both WiFi and 3G data available. The log on the phone has an ADIF export via email feature, so I just email myself the log on a daily basis for safe keeping.

It is, of course, easy to import the email attachment (ADIF file) once back home into a separate "EA5/G4AON" Log4OM profile/log. It avoids needing to (a) take a tablet or notebook computer and (b) avoids needing a live internet connection - which was a suggestion in an earlier post.

The little HamLog app was developed for SOTA use, but works fine for holiday style operating. There are various add-ons available, but for simple manual frequency and mode entering it's good enough. The app is from http://pignology.net

Perhaps a Log4OM phone app might be developed? Until then, HamLog is fine.

73 Dave