SOTA Cluster

General discussions about Log4OM features
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: SOTA Cluster

Post by G4POP »

VK2YW wrote:Hi Terry,

We have just had the Parks and Peaks get together and other than the event being down on numbers it was very good. I didn't get a chance to use the videos or the presentation you had but I used all those resources in making my own which was tailored to the SOTA and Parks side of things..also only had 30 minutes. Anyway it was well received. I had at least one person tell me after that he had the Log4OM software but didn't realise it would do all I showed ...and I really only showed the CAT control and the SOTA and Parks features....so I think I have another convert
Well done, thanks for spreading the word
One comment that was made by the group was that the WFF is no longer known as WFF but as WWFF. Small point but significant in as much as the WFF program was re-hashed and re-named to WWFF so it might be worth updating in the future ...I note that the expanded name next to WFF in the Awards section is correct - just the heading is still WFF. The main difference now between the two as I understand it is that there was a cost to get a certificate with the old WFF but is free now for WWFF and there are country co-ordinators now instead of one person running the program.
Yes we changed everything to WWFF except for abbreviation because the Log4om reference for awards display incorporates this abbreviation, changing it would invalidate all old QSO's that were logged using those award references, we did not consider that the advantages of having the abbreviation correct outweighed the disadvantages of many users with invalid Log4OM codes
The other comment is (and this came from the weekend event) that if one is in VK then we have a cluster that is taking all the VK SOTA and the VKFF spots plus all the general DX spots. I have to check with the owner as to whether he wants it publicly published or not but suffice to say it works better than elgur for SOTA spots with the added advantage of the parks spots as well ...but is filtered just for VK. It does the complete logging of a park too when CAT connected ..same as SOTA. And since using it, I have to say that having it and for that matter any of the clusters available I have been far more active in playing HF as a double click on the cluster spot gets my radio onto frequency and mode. An excellent feature.
Would appreciate a link to this, although we have developed an aggregated cluster system that will aggregate the result of up to six different clusters and display the result in a single window which will be introduced soon
73 Terry G4POP
VK2YW
Advanced Class

Post by VK2YW »

Hi Terry,

All noted and thanks for the prompt reply. Still awaiting permission to publicise the cluster and will report back here when I hear. But excellent news on the aggregated cluster. I know from my point of view it would be nice to do some more filtering ...would it be possible to have a filter that gives just local spots only? And I guess further to that the ability using growl to send those spots out ..that way one could pick up Parks and SOTA simultaneously ...but the other advantage is that one could just see spots from just Au or OC...just a thought :D ...again thanks for a great program ...have just been setting up the memory feature as well.

John VK2YW
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

John,
You can already filter for your own country or zone by using the filters provided by the cluster, see

http://www.dxcluster.org/main/usermanual_en-12.html

and

http://www.dxcluster.org/main/filtering_en.html

Also in log4om you can filter the cluster by Oceania (Custom/Spotter/OC) although that may not be tight enough for your requirements

In the Custom window you also have the ability to use highlights to identify SOTA and WWF spots

I will add the idea of using custom searches to the alerts using regular expressions as we already do with the custom cluster filters
73 Terry G4POP
VK2YW
Advanced Class

Post by VK2YW »

Thanks Terry,

Would have to have a bit more of a read on writing custom filters. Under the custom area, I think I have created something that will highlight a SOTA station ...will have to wait until there is one on to see if it works. But yes the ability to put in a custom filter might be good and perhaps some examples in the Help file would be useful.

I now have the beacons for 6m in the Frequency memory utility and that's working well. Unfortunately, there isn't the command set under OmniRig that will switch the IC9100 into 2m and 70cm so might not add those beacons yet as they are programmed in the radio now anyway so can live with that.

Again ..a great piece of software ...and still finding interesting features...so keep up the good work.

John VK2YW
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I thought we included a custom highlight filter for SOTA?

However try this

(([A-Z0-9]{1,3}))(\/)(([A-Z0-9]{1,2}))(-)(\d+)
((sota)|(SOTA)|(SUMMIT)|(summit))
73 Terry G4POP
VK2YW
Advanced Class

Post by VK2YW »

G4POP wrote:I thought we included a custom highlight filter for SOTA?

However try this

(([A-Z0-9]{1,3}))(\/)(([A-Z0-9]{1,2}))(-)(\d+)
((sota)|(SOTA)|(SUMMIT)|(summit))
Thanks Terry,

That's more in depth than the one I wrote :D and no, there wasn't a SOTA one in there but in now....great.

On another note ...is there a file that I can edit directly for the frequency memory utility? Its just I programmed a whole lot of 6m Beacons in and then found another file with a heap more regional ones. Certainly not a showstopper if there wasn't...I did have a brief look but nothing jumped out at me.

John
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi John,
Yes there is its called MemoryReminder.xml if you can edit xml files?

It resides at C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\LogOM
73 Terry G4POP
VK2YW
Advanced Class

Post by VK2YW »

Not sure how I missed that but got it now ...will have a play. thanks muchly ...should make it easier to edit.

I have received permission to publicise the cluster address. The address is dxcluster.parksnpeaks.org:7300. Allen VK3HRA runs a site called http://www.parksnpeaks.org/index.php which filters for vk sota, parks and qrp. His email is arharvie@gmail.com if you want to contact him.

John
vk3il
Novice Class

Post by vk3il »

Quick question: has something changed in either Log4OM or SOTA cluster recently? I'm finding that I can connect to elgur.dtdns.net:7300 and see spots appear in the Connection window, but they don't appear in the DX Spots window or the right side panel on the main screen. This used to work for me fine and is very useful for SOTA chasing.

David
VK3IL
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi David,
Something has changed with the raw data coming from the SOTA cluster which is causing the issue that you describe.

It was reported a couple of weeks ago and I have asked Lele to investigate but so far he has not had time.
73 Terry G4POP