Date formats - settable?

General discussions about Log4OM features
AA6E
Novice Class

Date formats - settable?

Post by AA6E »

I can't believe this hasn't been addressed before, but I can't find it in the otherwise thorough manual or in the forum.

Log4OM is giving me dates in "American" style (MM.DD.YY), but almost all QSL cards are handled in (I suppose) "Euro" style (DD.MM.YY). Then there is the ISO standard date which goes YYYY-MM-DD.

Can I select which format to use? Is this specified by the "Country" setting & Windows' idea of what each country uses? Maybe I would prefer EN-GB over EN-US, but that does not seem to be an option.

This gets to be a problem when working with physical QSLs. Do labels get printed with American dates? I've received labeled QSLs where you could not tell which system was being used. I.e., it's a real issue.

Thanks for any info!
73 Martin AA6E
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Date formats - settable?

Post by G4POP »

The date format is set in Windows, not in Log4om, so just go to the windows control panel and select date/time then select the format you require
73 Terry G4POP
AA6E
Novice Class

Post by AA6E »

Thanks for the pointer. So apparently I have to choose on a system-wide basis? I'd prefer to use American style when doing non logbook tasks. We can't have everything!

73 de aa6e
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

QSO informations are saved as strings in YYYYMMDD HHMMSS to avoid issues with regional settings, and then converted back to current local format based on Windows settings. This is also the ADIF format.
Whatever you set in your PC this is the format that will be saved in the log, and converted back that way.

Regional Windows settings will also affect your QSL print DATE and TIME layout (this is something we're evaluating to change)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
AA6E
Novice Class

Post by AA6E »

We need an international standard for representation of date and time. The ISO provides one, but I don't know if anyone actually uses it!

If there is no good standard, then we should have self-identifying formats of some kind.

73 Martin AA6E