Why is Communicator a stand alone program

General discussions about Log4OM features
PE5TT
Advanced Class

Why is Communicator a stand alone program

Post by PE5TT »

The title is my question. Why is communicator a standalone program and is it not integrated in the Settings/Options menu for example. That would make more sense to me. Now i have everything configured there is no need for me to do anything with it. It just sits there occupying space on my taskbar. Or is there a good reason this design ?
73 Marcel de PE5TT www.daverveld.eu
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Why is Communicator a stand alone program

Post by G4POP »

Because using a modular format makes it more efficient, easier to troubleshoot and it is easier for us to add new features to a module should the users request it.

When I was helping Simon with HRD we went to a modular system for the logbook, DM780 and satellites for just the same reasons, DX Labs also use modular technology for the same reasons.

Why! does it cause you a problem or do you have issues with it being designed like this?
73 Terry G4POP
PE5TT
Advanced Class

Post by PE5TT »

No issues (i wouldn't have posted it in the general discussion otherwise) its just a though, and i was curious what the reason is behind this design. i can live with it, although a minimize to tray option would be nice in my opinion.

I am generally very pleased with Log4OM, been looking for a long time for an alternative to UR5EQF, since he is SK and the program is not updated for some years now. Log4OM seems to fit my logging needs nicely.
73 Marcel de PE5TT www.daverveld.eu
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

This is also because communicator can be relocated to another PC, if needed.
Log4OM is able to command remote rigs using Hamlib libraries and an hamlib instance in remote location.
Sometimes you may want to relocate other features like remote antenna system. This could be achieved by remotizing the interface between log4om and other systems, to allow Log4OM send informations to remote agents (communicator) that can work locally.

To the date the supported interface (PSTRotator) is contacted by IP, but other potentially useable software could be interfaced only via RPC / localhost.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH