Reason's why LOG4om is better than HRD?

General discussions about Log4OM features
G4DWV
Old Man

Re: Reason's why LOG4om is better than HRD?

Post by G4DWV »

Nicely said, Terry.
Naturally, I have made a post too ;) . I meant every word of it too.
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Well it seems that the exposure on the QRZ forum has resulted in an HRD disciple WS7X posting a very negative review on Eham as follows
I've been logging electronically for many years and have tried quite a few others before this one. I tied this one on the recommendation of another ham but couldn't even get the CAT to connect with my rig. Tried both the recommended CAT programs with the same result. So, off to the manual I go to see what I"m missing. And guess what, still no joy. The manual doesn't explain how to make the CAT work. I'm sorry, but any good logger should have a built in CAT interface! And it should be simple to set up and work on start up. This one doesn't meet that standard.
This program also misses the boat by trying to do everything like the clusters and various web pages while missing the basics. For example, you can't tell what anything does by hovering the mouse over the buttons. And, once you input a call sign, how do you "log" the contact. Sheesh, you have to scroll way over on the other side of the page to what looks like a disk. It should be right next the call! and It should be clearly labeled. Sorry, I could go on and on but I wont. I'm frankly surprised by all the 5 reviews. Can't see where its deserved. Again, its a good start but needs work

I have responded to him by direct email as below

"Hi Noel,
Thanks for the Eham review and your points are noted for the future development of our software.

I am sorry that you found that it did not suit your requirements and were not able to make CAT work I just wish you had asked for help or at least joined our help forums so that we could have got it working for you. Pages 25 to 27 of our user guide and the YouTube 'Getting started' video do cover CAT control but I will revisit these and see f I can improve them

I have noted your comment regarding the Add button and will rethink that in version 2, however the software was designed to remove the need to constantly move from keyboard to mouse to save time during a contest or DXpedition and simply clicking the 'Enter' (Return) button on the keyboard adds the entry to your logbook. (The 'Esc' on your keyboard also clears the input data)

Should you wish to try Log4om in the future please contact one of our team direct for assistance if you run into problems.

I wish you well for your future efforts with radio and your chosen logging software.

73 and Good DX

Terry G4POP
Log4OM Development Team"

It had to happen!
73 Terry G4POP
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

Hi Terry,

As much as I like Log4OM, I do have to way that WS7X makes some valid points. The non-standard controls do make it more difficult to intuitively achieve basic tasks - the location of the 'save', the way columns are configured etc.

I must like Log4OM as I have just donated again so no offence is intended.

Regards

Guy
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4DWV - Guy wrote:Hi Terry,

As much as I like Log4OM, I do have to way that WS7X makes some valid points. The non-standard controls do make it more difficult to intuitively achieve basic tasks - the location of the 'save', the way columns are configured etc.

I must like Log4OM as I have just donated again so no offence is intended.

Regards

Guy
Guy,
Please email me with suggestions as to what "Non standard Controls" you refer to and also what problem you have with the columns
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Guy, there are a couple of things that can be optimized. Many of them are really "delicate" because very complex to achieve.
Log4OM user interface has a LOT of cross references and read dozens of events from external and internal sources that configure and reconfigure the system in a very complex way. And i'm trying to avoid regression in code.

This is why i'm sometime "slow" to fix relatively easy issues.

by the way, feel free to say whatever you want. No offence at all, if we keep the discussion between gentleman. Bugs are natural part of software, and there is everytime space for optimizations :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

Hi Daniele,

All I know about programming is that it is very complicated for me and I will never be able to write anything of much use. I have recently bought a book and hope to start teaching myself some programming. I do know that what seems easy to a non-programmer can be very complicated in reality. Like all things, one can understand each others position by calm discussion and mutual respect.

I am aware that my writing can have a tone of somebody who is just out to troll, which is why I have learnt to say specifically that is not my intention.

With kindest regards (aka 73+++)

Guy
G1YBB
Old Man

Post by G1YBB »

G4POP wrote:Well it seems we took a slagging from one of the HRD employees on the QRZ forum, I hope I answered it in a way our users would approve of?

See:

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads ... st-3745660
IMHO the guy over on that thread is doing HRD more harm than good.
Your response was measured and factual, and said what was needed to be said, and not labouring the point.

The thread did remind me I had never left A review on eHam, now corrected.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G1YBB wrote:
G4POP wrote:Well it seems we took a slagging from one of the HRD employees on the QRZ forum, I hope I answered it in a way our users would approve of?

See:

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads ... st-3745660
IMHO the guy over on that thread is doing HRD more harm than good.
Your response was measured and factual, and said what was needed to be said, and not labouring the point.

The thread did remind me I had never left A review on eHam, now corrected.
You are correct he is becoming an embarrassment to HRD

Thank you very much for the eham review it has redressed the balance somewhat.
73 Terry G4POP
G1YBB
Old Man

Post by G1YBB »

G4POP wrote:Thank you very much for the eham review it has redressed the balance somewhat.
Not a problem. I believe in giving praise when it is due as much as telling it straight when it's not!
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Terry, you did an outstanding job explaining how LOG4OM is so much better than HRD. As a former HRD user, I'm surprised to see that no one commented that with each new HRD update, they somehow manage to break some feature. LOG4OM is an undiscovered treasure!

I just finished importing all my contacts back to 1971. LOG4OM's powerful search features and queries found 16 new countries and revealed that I've worked 43 of the 50 US states on 160m.