Antenna Path / Bearing

General discussions about Log4OM features
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Antenna Path / Bearing

Post by WA2SQQ »

I've been working a lot of 2M SSB over the past few weeks. I've notice that when I look at the beam heading that corresponds to having "short path" selected, its showing the long path heading. What am I doing wrong?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Antenna Path / Bearing

Post by G4POP »

WA2SQQ wrote:I've been working a lot of 2M SSB over the past few weeks. I've notice that when I look at the beam heading that corresponds to having "short path" selected, its showing the long path heading. What am I doing wrong?
Are you certain that your own locator is entered correctly because it works FB for me, see below
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (63.35 KiB) Viewed 6008 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (26.03 KiB) Viewed 6008 times
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Absolutely positive. I have my grid square location entered as FN20wv

What is strange is that this does not occur with very station. Look at the attached screen shots.
KB1WY is in Milford CT, and it shows the heading of 232 - which is "long path" from my QTH
W3BFC is in MD, almost due South from me and it shows the correct beam heading.

I'm wondering if this is some bug with QRZ.com?
Try entering the two calls I have in my log and see if the headings are similar - which from the UK should be the case
beam heading.jpg
beam heading.jpg (193.25 KiB) Viewed 5994 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Both call signs provide a correct heading from my QTH of 288 degrees short path

What locator is displayed for each call when you enter them? Check it against the locator displayed on the QRZ lookup/detail tab

My guess is that your not getting a locator returned from QRZ so we then resort to providing a locator which is the centre of the country that would provide a westerly heading from your QTH
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Terry, last night I completely uninstalled LOG4OM and reinstalled it. I've worked about 6 stations last night and about 10 this morning on HF. The headings now appear to be correct. The only thing I've observed is that if QRZ gives me a heading of 50.9 degrees LOG4OM drops the last digit and shows 50 degrees. It seems you drop digits after the decimal point, and do not necessarily round to the next digit. I don't see this as a problem as 1 (one) degree is not detectable.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Is your rotator really accurate to a fraction of a degree?
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

No its not, and when you factor in the beam width of the antenna it is not an issue. Problem is resolved, though I'd like to know what caused it. Many thanks
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

If QRZ doesn't works correctly or have hiccups it may not answer in time.
In that case log4om uses the COUNTRY CENTER locator as best proxy.
If you live South of the country center, and the other station is South of your station, if locator is correct the antenna bearing shows 180, if you don't receive a valid locator the bearing will be 0 (country center is North of your station) and incidentally the long path.

this could be a possibility
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH