Wrong DXCC´s in log

General discussions about Log4OM features
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Re: Wron DXCC´s in log

Post by ei9ju »

K7PT wrote:
He was actually operating from EU-097 and give that reference frequently but as the callsign area number wasn't included in the prefix the option to log it under the IOTA window didn't occur.
...and correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't compulsory for a visiting Amateur operating under CEPT to include an area number in the prefix and some regulatory bodies advise against doing so.
Edit; Here's the correct format of a callsign if operating in Iceland.
(C): Licensees from these countries should only use the TF prefix in front of their call signs, but not the TF prefix with an Icelandic call area number. For example: TF/W1XXX would thus be correct; but TF6/W1XXX incorrect.
http://www.ira.is/display/Eng/Operating+in+Iceland
TF is not a problem because it only resolves to one country, Iceland.

Take VK for example. Without a number AND at least the first letter of the suffix, it could be one of many countries, Lord Howe, Christmas, Is., etc.

While it well may be that the number is not required under CEPT, how does the logging program know which too choose from? It's impossible unless it is contained in an external source that the program uses or the user selects the correct country.

We have a logging program, not a mind reader
Would a solution not be to log all OH/ prefixes as the primary and the lesser activated one OH0/ as the exception....is that possible?
Edit;...and I've just checked and that appears to be the recommended way of operating there.
Quote;
"The call sign shall be OH/ in front of the amateur's national call sign. E.g. OH/DL1XXX/P. When operating in the Province of Aland, the call sign shall be OH0/national call sign."
http://www.ficora.fi/en/index/luvat/luv ... oorit.html
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Wron DXCC´s in log

Post by G4POP »

ei9ju wrote:
K7PT wrote:
He was actually operating from EU-097 and give that reference frequently but as the callsign area number wasn't included in the prefix the option to log it under the IOTA window didn't occur.
...and correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't compulsory for a visiting Amateur operating under CEPT to include an area number in the prefix and some regulatory bodies advise against doing so.
Edit; Here's the correct format of a callsign if operating in Iceland.
(C): Licensees from these countries should only use the TF prefix in front of their call signs, but not the TF prefix with an Icelandic call area number. For example: TF/W1XXX would thus be correct; but TF6/W1XXX incorrect.
http://www.ira.is/display/Eng/Operating+in+Iceland
TF is not a problem because it only resolves to one country, Iceland.

Take VK for example. Without a number AND at least the first letter of the suffix, it could be one of many countries, Lord Howe, Christmas, Is., etc.

While it well may be that the number is not required under CEPT, how does the logging program know which too choose from? It's impossible unless it is contained in an external source that the program uses or the user selects the correct country.

We have a logging program, not a mind reader
Would a solution not be to log all OH/ prefixes as the primary and the lesser activated one OH0/ as the exception....is that possible?
Edit;...and I've just checked and that appears to be the recommended way of operating there.
Quote;
"The call sign shall be OH/ in front of the amateur's national call sign. E.g. OH/DL1XXX/P. When operating in the Province of Aland, the call sign shall be OH0/national call sign."
http://www.ficora.fi/en/index/luvat/luv ... oorit.html

Chuck is correct and the software is working as designed

The various lists like our Country prefix, Special call list, Clublog, LOTW Users databases etc are all maintained by dedicated volunteers and they all strive to maintain accuracy, although occasionally the odd error does get past! We can't make the program cope with operator errors, discrepancies in clusters and Internet call lookup sites, we have to conform to what is known to be accurate information.
73 Terry G4POP
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Re: Wrong DXCC´s in log

Post by ei9ju »

...but this is precisely the point Terry, OH/ in this Logger doesn't show the guy is in Finland and he can't, according to the terms governing his use of CEPT, add anything else to the OH/ prefix.
BTW, you edited out the OH/ reference to Finland as I was typing.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ei9ju wrote:...but this is precisely the point Terry, OH/ in this Logger doesn't show the guy is in Finland and he can't, according to the terms governing his use of CEPT, add anything else to the OH/ prefix.
BTW, you edited out the OH/ reference to Finland as I was typing.
Yes because I can't test this on an iPad in the middle of a bowls match, so it will have to wait until I return home.

Meanwhile I am sure that Chuck will check things through for you
73 Terry G4POP
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Post by ei9ju »

I'm rooting for you, hope you win. :)
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

I have issued another update to the country file for the OH issue-File date of July 31,2013 (C) . It now will resolve to Finland.

Without a number with the OH prefix it will always resolve as Finland. Aland must contain the number "0", i.e. OH0/K7PT or it will resolve as Finland.

Please don't ask for the VK9 or VP8 series as it's impossible to do the same. :roll:

Chuck-K7PT
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

BTW gentlemen, the EA series is another set that without the prefix number one cannot tell where the call is from, Spain, Ceuta , etc. Also the CT series Portugal or Azores. This is just mention a few problem children.

And, remember CETA is not worried about the user logging to the proper country. :evil:
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Post by ei9ju »

K7PT wrote:BTW gentlemen, the EA series is another set that without the prefix number one cannot tell where the call is from, Spain, Ceuta , etc. Also the CT series Portugal or Azores. This is just mention a few problem children.

And, remember CETA is not worried about the user logging to the proper country. :evil:
Thanks for updating the OH prefix, EA is no different as they too stipulate the CEPT prefix;
Quote;
"Holders of a CEPT general licence or those from non-CEPT countries which accept the CEPT licence can use your station throughout the whole of Spain, Balearic Islands, Canary Islands, and Spanish North Africa (EA, EA6, EA8 & EA9) without any other requirement.

...indicates in that given order unless 6, 8 or 9 is used EA is the primary prefix and any callsign not using either of those three numbers should default EA, it's either that or EA/EI9JU as it stands now defaults Ireland giving only the choice of Irish off-shore islands and not Spanish offshore islands, it's this your latest update has resolved and not poor operating standards as users under CEPT are disallowed from using an area number.

Anyway, I'm out of here before you hang me :)
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

I'm happy to see that a good attention to the name resolution raises some interesting arguments about proper use of campaigns and drive us to fix and optimize our config files.

If we're creating a better ham culture I'm really happy.

Lele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

ei9ju wrote:
K7PT wrote:BTW gentlemen, the EA series is another set that without the prefix number one cannot tell where the call is from, Spain, Ceuta , etc. Also the CT series Portugal or Azores. This is just mention a few problem children.

Thanks for updating the OH prefix, EA is no different as they too stipulate the CEPT prefix;
Quote;
"Holders of a CEPT general licence or those from non-CEPT countries which accept the CEPT licence can use your station throughout the whole of Spain, Balearic Islands, Canary Islands, and Spanish North Africa (EA, EA6, EA8 & EA9) without any other requirement.

...indicates in that given order unless 6, 8 or 9 is used EA is the primary prefix and any callsign not using either of those three numbers should default EA, it's either that or EA/EI9JU as it stands now defaults Ireland giving only the choice of Irish off-shore islands and not Spanish offshore islands, it's this your latest update has resolved and not poor operating standards as users under CEPT are disallowed from using an area number.

Anyway, I'm out of here before you hang me :)
I can't hang you as I'm out of rope and no wood for a gallows. HiHi

Chuck-K7PT