QSO/QSL Logging (LotW, eQSL, etc)

General discussions about Log4OM features
W7MGB
Novice Class

QSO/QSL Logging (LotW, eQSL, etc)

Post by W7MGB »

Firstly, just to get this out there - I have started using Log4OM about a month ago..... I tried it a few years ago, but at that time, probably due to my lack of attention and knowledge, along with what I wanted, then, from a logging program, I never really started using Log4OM. But NOW!!! Oh boy!! This program is great! I absolutely love it - it really seems to fit just about every need I want.....

But..... A few things I have noticed and I am wondering if I just overlooked a configuration or setting that I could make.

1 - Frequency - I am mostly a digital user, which means that I like to log a freq like "7.074.123". Log4Om logs that for me as "7074.123" - not a huge issue at all, and something I can certainly live with if I have to.

2 - Time - The logged time is in the format or "010000" (two extra zeros - seconds would be my guess, but they are always 00). With FT8, that would be cool to be 15, 30, 45, or 00, but it is not. I would prefer to log only 4 places if I could (hours:minutes -- seconds not needed).

3 - Received or Sent - The log will record as "Y" or "N", or "V", whichever is appropriate. I would like to log the whole word, if possible.

I use a MySql backend for everything, and I have fiddled with some queries to change these items in the log. Using PHP and some web coding, everything displays as I like it in my log (www.w7mgb.com), but if I ever access the data using Log4OM, any data that was modified will not work. I.e., if I use the QSL management to check for, or up/download LotW status, a QSO where I changed "N" to "No", etc, will not be discovered. If I changed the Freq from "7074.123" to what I like ("7.074.123"), accessing that record with Log4OM will change the freq to zeros.

Also, a slight oversight maybe? A field name of "Call" is not a good idea. "Call" is a protected word in MySql. While it is workable to escape the protected word with a combination of quotes, it is not a recommended method.

And just a caveat on all this -- no I am not a SQL programmer or a programmer of any type. Just a guy that likes to fiddle about a bit.....

THANKS!!!
K7PT
Old Man

Re: QSO/QSL Logging (LotW, eQSL, etc)

Post by K7PT »

Hi Les,
Appreciate your comments, always.

Please keep in mind that we try our very best to meet, as best we can, all users "needs". However, there comes a point where the middle road is the best place to be.

We have had many discussions over the years about several of the items you bring up and have settled on what is there. This seems to have been the right course as we hear almost nothing about them.

Also, we conform to the ADIF worldwide standard 100% and this is why the N is what it is. Same for Y and V.

Hope you understand and I've clearly explained it.

Always here to assist in any way. Best 73s
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hi OM,

about the frequency "problem". Why you don´t use the fantastic software JTalert by VK3AMA.
JTalert can log to Log4OM and you can set it up that it send the Dial + DF. That means if you
work at station at Dial + 1500 Hz JTalert sends 14075.500 to Log4OM.

If you work with JTalert at the moment go to it´s Settings/Logging. There are several checkboxes.
Enable Send Dial + DF and all will be fine ...

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
W7MGB
Novice Class

Post by W7MGB »

K7PT wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:08
Hope you understand and I've clearly explained it.

Always here to assist in any way. Best 73s
I understand completely and I agree with what you have said. Thank you very much for the quick reply.... I was just hoping that I may have overlooked a setting that might have configured the output to what I wanted. I never thought about the ADIF standards - I may have to reconsider my thoughts on what I want, versus doing it the right way.

Again - thank you. I find the program to be very useful and it suits my needs perfectly!!

Cheers!!
W7MGB
Novice Class

Post by W7MGB »

DF5WW wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:47 Hi OM,

about the frequency "problem". Why you don´t use the fantastic software JTalert by VK3AMA.
JTalert can log to Log4OM and you can set it up that it send the Dial + DF. That means if you
work at station at Dial + 1500 Hz JTalert sends 14075.500 to Log4OM.

If you work with JTalert at the moment go to it´s Settings/Logging. There are several checkboxes.
Enable Send Dial + DF and all will be fine ...

;) ;)
I use JTAlert. I may have missed that setting in the configuration. I am not at home right now, but I will certainly look when I get there. However, the example you show (14075.500) is how I am already getting it logged. I would prefer 14.075.500, if that is a possibility.

Thank you for the suggestion!!
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

I only forgot the decimal after the 14 :D
Frequency in Log4OM is 14.xxx.xxx ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
W7MGB
Novice Class

Post by W7MGB »

I figured it must be possible some how ---- I read through a lot of the forum posts looking for help and information (not just this subject, but just trying to get a lot of information) - I saw screen shots from some users that showed it just how I would like it.

Hoping your solution is the one that does it....
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

W7MGB wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 21:39 I figured it must be possible some how ---- I read through a lot of the forum posts looking for help and information (not just this subject, but just trying to get a lot of information) - I saw screen shots from some users that showed it just how I would like it.

Fistly are you using Hamlib or Omnirig?

What data software are you using?

I ask because I am puzzled because the frequency display is and should be as shown below?

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (96.04 KiB) Viewed 8322 times
73 Terry G4POP
W7MGB
Novice Class

Post by W7MGB »

I am using WSJT-X with JTAlert. I was using the radio config that is in WSJT-X (TS-590s). I've never really had any issues with that at all - always worked fine. But, just before I read your post, I thought that might be the issue, so I swapped everything over to Omni-Rig and made a contact. It still logged as (this is an example...) 7074.123

Previously, I did not havce CAT enabled with log4OM as I am basically a digital (JT-65, FT-8, etc) operator.... I just enabled CAT in log4OM and it still logs in the format I have shown above. (but I like the extra info in log4OM with CAT enabled now....)

Here is a thought - as I log to a MySQL backend, I'm starting to think there is something about the field properties that is causing it to drop the first "." --- I exported a few log entries from log4OM to an adif file -- here is the weird thing about that; the first decimal point is there in the export, but not the second. I.e., 7.074123 is what the adif export has.

Take a peek at www.w7mgb.com and you'll see what I am getting. Attached is a snip from log4OM;
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.23 KiB) Viewed 8316 times
Last edited by W7MGB on 03 Feb 2018, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
W7MGB
Novice Class

Post by W7MGB »

DF5WW wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 20:19 I only forgot the decimal after the 14 :D
Frequency in Log4OM is 14.xxx.xxx ;)
It made no difference for me (it was already set that way....)