QSO/QSL Logging (LotW, eQSL, etc)

General discussions about Log4OM features
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: QSO/QSL Logging (LotW, eQSL, etc)

Post by G4POP »

Did you check the Windows settings for displaying numbers etc?
73 Terry G4POP
W7MGB
Novice Class

Post by W7MGB »

G4POP wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 14:57 Did you check the Windows settings for displaying numbers etc?
First thing I checked - made sure it was not the system.
W7MGB
Novice Class

Post by W7MGB »

FWIW, just so you have a reference maybe... I set up a different logging program to see what would happen. Both decimal points are there.....
W7MGB
Novice Class

Post by W7MGB »

Maybe I am doing something wrong here - it is obvious that this is not a widespread issue. When I try to manually enter QSO information, this screen ONLY accepts a comma, as in 14,076.123. It does not let me enter this as 14.076.123 - if I try to enter that, it ends up as 14 (MHz), skips right over kHz and goes directly to the Hz field.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.05 KiB) Viewed 7652 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Just enter 14076 without any decimal point or comma and hit the tab button on your keyboard to enter the Hz, the decimal point is entered for you?
73 Terry G4POP
W7MGB
Novice Class

Post by W7MGB »

G4POP wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 16:29 Just enter 14076 without any decimal point or comma and hit the tab button on your keyboard to enter the Hz, the decimal point is entered for you?
It does enter that, but only on the screen shown here (previous post) but it never enters in to the actual log that way.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

W7MGB wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 00:53
G4POP wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 16:29 Just enter 14076 without any decimal point or comma and hit the tab button on your keyboard to enter the Hz, the decimal point is entered for you?
It does enter that, but only on the screen shown here (previous post) but it never enters in to the actual log that way.
Sorry! I thought you were querying the method of frequency entry, which is designed to be without any separators.

I am aware that you have an issue with the actual data record and have already requested that Lele takes a look at that.

My apologies.
73 Terry G4POP
W7MGB
Novice Class

Post by W7MGB »

Just a tad bit more info, FWIW.....

I was wondering if maybe this was something that happened in one of the later versions. I'm guessing that you have been a user all along, so you probably have a version from a long time ago, with updates applied to it over time.

I went back to the earliest version I could find, which was 1.20. I uninstalled my version and installed 1.20. I still had the same issue. However, I do not think the uninstall was clean. I did the best I could to delete any reference to log4om, but I must have missed something - as soon as I loaded up version 1.20, all the configurations were still there. I went ahead and connected to the MYSql server and made a new database with version 1.20, hoping that the field defs for "Freq" would have been different - they were the same as the current version.

Just so you know, I am really okay with all of this. I am only providing information on my insignificant situation. Please do not assume this to be a troubling situation....
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Issue is created by the different usage of point and comma in european and USA standards.
In some cultures decimal separator is ",", while in other cultures is the ".", both are used (reversed) for thousand separators.

ADIF protocol is a text protocol, so a number is not saved as a number, but as a STRING.
This is why ADIF uses numbers like "xxxxxxx.yyy" without commas and without any other kind of separator.

Unfortunately not all software exports decimals with this protocol, and sometime they export with the local computer format. This is a bullshit.

Log4OM has some routines that tries to recognize the STRING and convert into DECIMAL taking into account presence of thousand separators and different decimal separators, guessing that decimal separators are used when found, and guessing it's unusual to have an ADIF wrote with thousand separators.
This is why i have made a "physical" separation in frequency data entry between integer and decimal part, suggesting to not use any symbol (i will check the qso edit screen, as the comma and point should be stripped away). Obviously Log4OM exports with xxxxxxx.yyy format

webservices and other low level talks between applications, if correctly made, will keep the native format of the number, so there should not be an issue on this side (well, TCP communication rely on ADIF strings so it's up to the counterpart to comply with ADIF standards)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Lele,
You missed the issue!

Even when he logs directly in Log4om there is no separator between mhz and kHz it's not an ADIF import issue.

CAT frequency reads ok but when a qso is saved there are no separators

As per my post the separator exists fine in all of my 4 different installations
73 Terry G4POP