Possible new user, questions

General discussions about Log4OM features
kd7mw
Advanced Class

Possible new user, questions

Post by kd7mw »

Hello! I've recently retired and become more active on the air after a long, sparse stretch. I think it's time to adopt computer logging. Dare I admit that I still use a paper log? OK, now that you've stopped laughing...

I've narowed the choice down to three programs: DXLab Suite, Log4OM, and AC Log by N3FJP I've read about all three, watched YouTube videos, read reviews, etc. Probably any of the three will work, but I'd like to get it right the first time. Here are a few specific questions:

1. The main reason I want to go to computerized logging is to interface with LoTW and eQSL. I've got a 20-odd year backlog I'd like to clear up. I want to import my 100+ pending eQSL contacts, check them in my paper logs, and then confirm them in eQSL and upload them to LoTW. Then I can go through my paper logs, enter and upload any "needed" countries I've contacted, and see what comes of that. Will this be relatively straightforward to do in Log4OM?

2. How do longtime hams handle the fact that many of their contacts were logged and QSLed on paper? I got my basic mixed DXCC and WAS awards in 1993 and 1989. Does LoTW know anything about the specific contacts, or just that I worked those countries/states, or nothing at all? Will I have to manually enter all those contacts in Log4OM if I want it to correctly report DXCC totals? To further complicate matters, some of the DXCC entities were worked under an old callsign. I no longer have those old logs, but I do have the QSLs. I'm not sure it's worth entering all that stuff manually just to get the country totals correct in Log4OM. I'm not a contester or a diehard DXer--I just like to have meaningful exchanges with people in faraway places. Basic DXCC is important to me, 5-band and mode awards, not so much.

3. How is Log4OM different from DX Lab Suite and AC Log by N3JFP? Why might it be better for me?

4. I have an Icom 7300. Right now I'm using a single USB cable, which allows the radio to talk to Flgidi. If I add Log4OM to the mix, will the single USB cable still work, or will I have to wire up a second cable to the CI-V interface?

5. Is there a way within Log4OM to make any of the windows and text larger? I use a 1920x1080 monitor. My 60-something eyes are often at their limit in crowded screens designed by 20-35 year-olds. :-) I'd rather not increase my screen font size globally, and Windows Magnifier is a pain.

73, and thanks in advance for any answers!
--Peter, KD7MW
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Possible new user, questions

Post by G4POP »

kd7mw wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 08:15
1. The main reason I want to go to computerized logging is to interface with LoTW and eQSL. I've got a 20-odd year backlog I'd like to clear up. I want to import my 100+ pending eQSL contacts, check them in my paper logs, and then confirm them in eQSL and upload them to LoTW. Then I can go through my paper logs, enter and upload any "needed" countries I've contacted, and see what comes of that. Will this be relatively straightforward to do in Log4OM?
Yes our QSL manager has all the facilities you require, watch our YouTube tutorials

2. How do longtime hams handle the fact that many of their contacts were logged and QSLed on paper? I got my basic mixed DXCC and WAS awards in 1993 and 1989. Does LoTW know anything about the specific contacts, or just that I worked those countries/states, or nothing at all? Will I have to manually enter all those contacts in Log4OM if I want it to correctly report DXCC totals? To further complicate matters, some of the DXCC entities were worked under an old callsign. I no longer have those old logs, but I do have the QSLs. I'm not sure it's worth entering all that stuff manually just to get the country totals correct in Log4OM. I'm not a contester or a diehard DXer--I just like to have meaningful exchanges with people in faraway places. Basic DXCC is important to me, 5-band and mode awards, not so much.
This depends to some degree how much information you have passed to LOTW/ARRL but whatever is recorded with those organisations can be downloaded into Log4OM
3. How is Log4OM different from DX Lab Suite and AC Log by N3JFP? Why might it be better for me?
Not for me to answer this as I am biased but I am sure our users will respond, perhaps you should take a look at our eham reviews
4. I have an Icom 7300. Right now I'm using a single USB cable, which allows the radio to talk to Flgidi. If I add Log4OM to the mix, will the single USB cable still work, or will I have to wire up a second cable to the CI-V interface?
Full integration with FLDigi is included in Log4OM so basically Log4OM communicates with your 7300 via the com port already set up using Omnirig - That CAT information is exchanged with FLDigi and any FLDigi QSO's are logged direct to Log4OM using RCP/XML (Software to software data flow)

Also integrated are WSJT/JTAlert for the JT and FT modes
5. Is there a way within Log4OM to make any of the windows and text larger? I use a 1920x1080 monitor. My 60-something eyes are often at their limit in crowded screens designed by 20-35 year-olds. :-) I'd rather not increase my screen font size globally, and Windows Magnifier is a pain.
Not in the current version but version 2.00 of Log4OM will have that facility
73 Terry G4POP
kd7mw
Advanced Class

Post by kd7mw »

Terry, thanks for your prompt and thorough reply.
--Peter, KD7MW
sp8bai
Novice Class

Post by sp8bai »

Good morning,
I have another problem,
Since a short time I am an user of programm LOG4OM. Previously I used WIN-EQF, but that programme are not supports by now and was for the old system Windows, like WIN XP. LOG4OM works well with the system WIN 10, but I have a problem.
The statistics of communications its can be seen only if I will click on the sign with field cluster (F9).
Why after insert manually the sign in the field "Callsign" does not switch on in the statistics if I had before now with this station QSO on this band and with this emission. Maybe this option is, but I cannot it implement?
Best regards
Jacek Sieron SP8BAI
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

If, in Settings (Cat & Cluster tab) you can set various colors of your choice for what you ae asking for I think. Try it and let us know. Thanks.

The colors will then indicate the various combinations in the cluster windows.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

Peter,

I think you will be happy with any. They are all excellent programs with very good support. The last one you mentioned is not free, so it falls at the first hurdle.

I would only suggest that you try the other 2 as you will not be disappointed in either. Do not be daunted by the interface in DX Lab.

Both DXLab and Log4OM have very good documentation. Terry has made some great videos for the latter and K0PIR has done the same for the former. This forum is brilliant for Log4OM support and the DXLab Yahoo group is similarly top notch.

v2 for Log4OM has been in the works for a while, with no end in sight. It was posted that v1 would only have fixes and no new features. Some enhancements have snuck in there along the way.

There is a BIG plus for you and me as IC 7300 users in DXLab. It is that it has a clickable spectrum display that can be used for our rigs. It is on my "to do" list to check out DXLabs for that reason. If v2 of Log4OM would have something similar and a release slated for some time this year, I'd hold fast.

Good luck.

73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.