End of Windows XP support

General discussions about Log4OM features
IW3HMH
Site Admin

End of Windows XP support

Post by IW3HMH »

As many of you know, we keep Log4OM to strictly use the lowest .net framework version possible, in order to keep support for Windows XP systems.

As time passes, we're finding more and more problems using this outdated framework which does not have the benefits of the features provided by more recent ones.

For that reason we will probably move to .NET Framework 4.6 from next release, in order to integrate Log4OM with the new IOTA database download. Because that IOTA download now requires TLS 1.2 security protocol which is not available in framework Version 4.0 (or available only with a direct reference working on fully patched PC's = random issues we cannot deal with)

Framework 4.6 is the most advanced framework that supports Windows Vista and it's recent enough for our needs.

Old Log4OM versions working with Windows XP will be available for download until 1.31.1, with our usual support, but we probably not patch them anymore.

Please feel free to share your doubts here, before we decide to move ahead.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: End of Windows XP support

Post by G4POP »

I have no reservations with changing to the latest framework even if it precludes XP support.

We need to use the new features available with the latest framework to be able to provide the best possible UI and features for our users, so why support an OS which Microsoft no longer support and which many of our competitors have already stopped supporting some time ago.
73 Terry G4POP
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Same here .. no problems to change. Here is an actual W10 Pro 64 at work and the Laptop, i will
receive end of this month, has a W7 64 OS ...

Windows XP is history ... ;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

I agree. Y'all should be working with the most current framework so Log4OM can be the absolute best it can be.

I'm using a "mature" (might I say old?) Dell laptop that was originally shipped with Windows XP. I've done OS updates/upgrades to this Dell and it is working better now with the most recent release of Windows OS.

My experience with the updates has not presented any roadblocks.

My vote would be to move forward with updated apps that will continue to support and enhance Log4OM.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

All the above posts express my views too.

There is no need to a) cripple a great program and b) take time away from v2 development, hint hint.

73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Yes, I agree. There should be no need to hold back development because of an outdated OS.

Jim N6VH