Switching profiles .....

General discussions about Log4OM features
MM0XXW
Novice Class

Switching profiles .....

Post by MM0XXW »

Please forgive my ignorance in asking this question however I am a very amateur amateur when it comes to matters regarding computer programming! :oops:

My question is simply, is it very difficult to enable Log4OM to switch between profiles without having to log-out and restart the full programme?

I only have two profiles, my normal call and my contest call - MM1X.
When I'm not at work the log is usually open to allow logging of the odd contact and catch up with qsl entries especially those from Eqsl. Of course recently, thanks to CQWW SSB, I've been popping in updated info for both calls however having to log in and out each time is a wee bit frustrating.
Can some kindly pc expert clarify why this is required, it's not a complaint on my part as I love the programme and all it's features rather I am curious as to why this is a requirement ;)
Regards,
Martyn-MM0XXW
(MM1X in contests)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Switching profiles .....

Post by G4POP »

Hi Martyn,
Sorry but it is necessary to restart when changing profiles.

This is because many configuration files are loaded at runtime (Start up)

So as an example lets suppose that I have a holiday home in Florida and an American call with a CW only QRP station with a different profile, these are just some of the files loaded at runtime ......

Band plan
Station profile
Layout configuration
DX Cluster profile
User filters
User Alerts

Etc etc

If it was just a call sign and database load we would probably not require a restart.

You could however open the other logbook and change the details in the options and then make your updates but this is probably more work than a restart.
73 Terry G4POP
MM0XXW
Novice Class

Post by MM0XXW »

Thanks for the explanation Terry, as usual you clear things up simply but effectively :arrow: :D
Regards,
Martyn-MM0XXW
(MM1X in contests)
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Yes, terry got the point.
Many things are loaded at startup and not reloaded until next program start.
Also CAT configuration is loaded, and a "online change" could require turning off the Omnirig connection and start Hamlib to another address, stopping Communicator and switching to another external service and many other things.

The main "problem" is the external connections, that should be restarted. Log4OM actually has more than 20 external services (web, tcp, udp, xml-rpc, webservices, growl protocols) to handle, and if one fails to restart or doesn't drop previous connection at all you can have troubles.

This was the reason for this choice, and mainly the possibility to turn on your laptop everytime in a different, but fully configured, environment (holiday house with rigs, field day with fixed config, home, etc)

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH