Locator Square Mapping

General discussions about Log4OM features
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Re: Locator Square Mapping

Post by ei9ju »

As it stands now I use http://wg7j.reinalda.net/gridmapper/gridmapper.php and upload a copy of my 6m log into it, it then plots those grids onto Google Maps.
Attachments
grid mapping (Copy).jpg
grid mapping (Copy).jpg (194.95 KiB) Viewed 7368 times
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Post by ei9ju »

If something like that could be incorporated into Log4OM constantly updating each time a grid is worked and flagging up as a new grid if that happens to be the case.
Also, once a locator grid is entered into F1's "Locator" field this should be the point SP/LP beam directions and Distance is derived from....over-riding the current default bearings and distance.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

i'm experimenting right now with gridsquare mapping in google maps...
nice screenshot, good as reference
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

IW3HMH wrote:i'm experimenting right now with gridsquare mapping in google maps...
nice screenshot, good as reference
Please be aware that all grid squares need to be displayed, regardless of being already worked, so that the user can see at a glance if he/she requires a particular square. It is not sufficient to just display worked squares.

Each square needs to display the locator reference whether worked or not

Worked squares should be completely coloured not just displaying a X or check mark

Map definition does not have to be very high, in fact high definition terrain and satellite maps become confusing to the eye

The CIA/NOAA provide free downloads of very good maps for this purpose, these are the ones Simon used in Mapper

Resolution needs to be to 8 digits - 6 will not do because the UHF and microwave guys need greater accuracy
73 Terry G4POP
G3ZSS
Old Man

Post by G3ZSS »

Personally, I would only like to see major grid fields (first 2 letters such as IO), or 4 digit fields (such as IO91) plotted on a world map. I don't know of anyone that collects and plots 6 digit fields?

73 Peter G3ZSS
73 Peter G3ZSS
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G3ZSS wrote:Personally, I would only like to see major grid fields (first 2 letters such as IO), or 4 digit fields (such as IO91) plotted on a world map. I don't know of anyone that collects and plots 6 digit fields?

73 Peter G3ZSS
Peter,
It all depends on the users interest

For me the locator is totally irrelevant I am only interested in Islands and countries

The 6 meter man possible wants two or maximum 4 digits

2 meter guys definitely need six digits

UHF and Microwave aficionados want six or eight digit

We provide software for all OM so we need to please everyone

When we develop this we will include a user display choice of 2, 4, 6 & 8 locator digits but if we don't design for eight now then we cannot provide choices to suite all tastes later.

It's similar to designing a logbook that only uses the ADIF fields call, band and mode, if we did that then we could not add extra data for the user! we include all ADIF fields and then the user can display and use the ones he is personally interested in
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

links to those images?
how about using google maps for this? i think it's better...
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Google maps is OK if you can do a world wide overlay of the grid squares but as I said earlier the detail in GM confuses the eye

I will Skype you the links to the CIA/NOAA maps in a few minutes
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

got it...
anyway mapping over google maps is easier than mapping coordinates over a couple of non geo-referenced images...

I will probably start with GM, then we will can see if there are further needs or opportunities on making this work embedded into log4om
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

For the U.S. users, you might consider this mapping as part of the VUCC award.

By this I mean, when viewing the VUCC award a selection to display the grid squares worked, confirmed and credit granted.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"