IOTA maps

General discussions about Log4OM features
dm1cm
Novice Class

Re: IOTA maps

Post by dm1cm »

Larry,

I'll make this my last post here on this subject, since this forum is all about Log4OM, and I hope the good people here do not mind me using it for this purpose.

You mention Sable island, so let's use that as an example for finding the Grid Locator for the CY0 activation you mention:
  • in the iotamaps mapping page, choose North America from the continents dropdown;
  • choose either "Sable Island" from the DXCC dropdown, or "NA-063 - Sable Island" from the Groups dropdown;
  • zoom into the island on the map until you can see some detail on the ground (choose Satellite or Open Maps/Open Cycle maps as map type) - try zoom level 15 or thereabouts (you can check this with the zoom-level control in the lower left-hand corner of the map area);
  • the island is not particularly long, maybe 25 miles long, so pan quickly left or right until you see a collection of tracks on the ground amongst the dunes, roughly in the middle of the island - this is where the majority of the buildings are located;
  • activate the Map Grids / Locator Grid control at the top center of the map area;
  • zoom out a little until you can read the 6-character Grid Locator "FN93xw".
This takes two minutes at the most, so the statement "Sable island is rather large so looking for the buildings was a less than meaningfull suggestion" is not entirely accurate.

There's a saying in English which goes "One can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink." We provide tools for the user, but we cannot force the user to make use of them.

Best regards, Rob
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: IOTA maps

Post by G4POP »

robMaps wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 18:35I'll make this my last post here on this subject, since this forum is all about Log4OM, and I hope the good people here do not mind me using it for this purpose.
You are very welcome Rob especially as you are helping our users to understand Log4OM, SOTA Mapping Project and IOTA Maps.
73 Terry G4POP