Acceptable suffixes

General discussions about Log4OM features
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Acceptable suffixes

Post by G4POP »

This comment was made on one of the forums today and it prompts me to clarify what suffixes are acceptable not only by Log4om but by the governing bodies of amateur radio worldwide!
"I am using MacLogger DX as logging software. When I work a pedestrian
mobile or bicycle mobile station and record them as G4AKC/pm for example,
and I upload my file to Club Log, it reads that G4AKC is not actually from
England, but is from Taiwan.

How do you record a pedestrian mobile or bicycle mobile station ?"
The ONLY legal and acceptable suffixes are...

Mobile /M
Portable /P
Marine Mobile /MM
Aeronautical Mobile /AM

Any other suffix will be interpreted as a country identifier

Please note
The does not seem to be any clarification of "Alternative Location" /A this appears to have been dropped
73 Terry G4POP
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Acceptable suffixes

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Terry,

that´s correct. We only have those 4 official extensions. In older times in germany we´ve had a /A for operating from a 2nd fixed station in another QTH and i think that was also a official extension but all others not (/LH .. /PM .. /QRP e.g.) ...... The next problem is a verification via LotW or eQSL. If stations sending verifications with those wrong extension (b.t.w. DF5WW/QRP) there will be no match. That´s why i never use extensions like this.

Would be nice when all do the same ... ;) 8-)

b.t.w. think /0-9 are also official for countries with different areas like the states.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

He Juergen,
Amateurs will never do the same thing, lets face it they use the country identifier prefix as a SUFFIX! so there is no hope :x
73 Terry G4POP
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

I will be signing K7PT/MWC (mobile wheel chair) or K7PT/C (crutches).

Hope Log4OM can handle it.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Yes, there is a filter to ignore everything before and after K7PT.
It's the function CheckChuck(string callsign) :D
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Image Image
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
K0HB
Old Man

Post by K0HB »

Interesting topic.

Here in the Colonies, we can attach (as either suffix or prefix) our own self-assigned indicator, subject to some conditions.

FCC Rule 97.119(c)

(c) One or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant mark (/) or by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator is self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both before and after, the call sign. No self-assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country.
While that rule might seem quite generous, as a practical matter the prohibition of "any prefix assigned to another country" is quite confining.

/M and /MM are not legal suffixes here, as they are prefixes assigned to UK
/P is legal here, as no jurisdiction has the singular letter "P" as a call prefix.
/AM is not legal here, as it is a prefix assigned to Spain, but the singular /A is legal as a self-assigned prefix.

Any self-assigned indicator starting with Q is legal, because no country is assigned any prefix starting with that letter.
DE Hans, KØHB
--
"Just a boy and his radio"
--
Superstition Trails ----> http://OldSlowHans.com