Log4om works only on one panadaper with myFlex 6500

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
AH6TX
Advanced Class

Log4om works only on one panadaper with myFlex 6500

Post by AH6TX »

For some reason when I change to any panadapter I have open and select from the cluster a person to contact it sends that information to the first panadapter slice that I have open. As an example if I had two panadapters open: A - on 40 meters and B on 20 meters. At that point I had selected B and then decided to select a cluster contact on 20 meters the system would then change A to 20 meters and select the specific information.

Please help provide any info to fix this issue. FYI I am working on Windows 8.1 with Lo4om's latest version.

Thanks

Howard
AH6TX
661-821-0923
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Log4om works only on one panadaper with myFlex 6500

Post by G4POP »

Sounds more like a Flex issue than a Log4om issue and I dint have a 6500 to test with so can't help other to comment that with SDR-Radio and RFSpace IP Log4om works with whatever VFO is active, same with HDSDR!
73 Terry G4POP
AH6TX
Advanced Class

Post by AH6TX »

The problem is that if you want to leave your initial slice in place even though you have the VFO as you indicated on the second slice your program wants to take over original slice, thus changing what ever you have in the original slice to fit the cluster you selected. The other issue is if you wanted to select a contact without using the clusters on any slice other then the original slice you will not be able to log it into the system. Please advise what it is going to take to make these changes.

Thanks

Howard
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

As I stated before neither Daniele nor I have a Flex 6500 to test code with but my limited knowledge of Flex 6500 and their so called "Slices" leads me to the following conclusion, which could of course be incorrect!

Normal CAT control reads the active VFO of a radio - When the other VFO is selected that VFO frequency and mode data is sent to Log4om and displayed in the relevant fields - Commands sent from log4om when you double click a cluster spot (Frequency and mode) are sent to this active VFO - The operative word here is "Active"

It seems that Flex in their infinite wisdom do not send active VFO (Slice) information via CAT so Log4om does not know that you have made another Slice (VFO) active and therefore cannot communicate with that Slice (VFO)

Flex could add a TCP/IP, UDP or XML/RPC communication protocol which could provide this data but it would be best if they conformed to normal radio CAT procedure and made the active "SLICE' (VFO) the one for which was data was sent via CAT.

We have no way of knowing which "SLICE" you want Log4om to communicate with unless Flex can send the data to log4om via CAT, log4om is good but its not psychic! If both "SLICES" are active at the same time then again how is Log4om supposed to know which one you want it to communicate with?

Your question would be best posted on the Flex forum or even better chase Flex to provide active slice (VFO) data via CAT the same as a normal radio, it cannot be answered here.
73 Terry G4POP
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Howard,

my steps with the fexradios are a longer time ago and that´s "the older" Flex series. Think the problem with the new radios is that they have a multi receiver option. That means that you can define some more receivers (not transceivers) which you can use in other bands. If you clicking a clusterspot the flex switches to his "TRX" Panadaptor i beleave. In that TRX panadaptor you may have VFO A and B and if one of those is set the changes from the cluster should change the parameters (QRG, MODE) for that "VFO" ......

Think that´s not really a Log4OM problem. Would be easier to aks the flex radio support about this special problem. Think there are not to much guys here in the forum who using a flex 6xxx series TRX ;) ;)

Short Update:

Have asked about this problem in the german Flexradio support forum "DL0SDR" .... There is the Chairman of Flexradio Europe aktiv (Klaus Lohmann) .... Hope to get an information about i´m right or not ;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
ik2egl
Old Man

Post by ik2egl »

the answer is quite easy
log4om uses ominrig (hamrig is thesame) and only one VFO is catted: the VFO A or slice A, using the smartsdr terminolgy, is under cat command so when you double click for a spot the slice A will be changed only.

to fully use smarsdr all slices the log4 om should use the flexlib libraries and not the CAT via OMNIG.

I gave all the infor (perhaps off line the forum) to Daniele time ago but nothing heard after.
73 de Don IK2EGL
AH6TX
Advanced Class

Post by AH6TX »

I have received the following information from FLEX. Please advise if you can provide this service or if I need to look for another logging software.

Tim Ellison (FlexRadio Systems)
Sep 09 09:15 AM

Howard,

Please review the CAT documentation regarding how SmartSDR CAT works with CAT enabled programs. http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smar ... guide-pdf/

Essentially, Slice A is mapped to what the CAT program thinks is VFO-A and slice B is mapped to VFO-B for legacy radio compatibility (Log4OM is not a 4 receiver aware application) and predictability. There is no concept of a dynamic "active slice" for CAT; it is always mapped to slice A and slice B as described above.

Based on your description below, CAT is operating exactly as designed. There is nothing to "fix". The 20m spot you selected is applied to what would be VFO-A in a legacy type transceiver which is slice A, therefore CAT did exactly what it was told to do and tuned Slice A from 40m to 20m based on the spot data.

The FLEX-6000 is natively a TCP/IP radio and there are publicly available APIs (application programming interfaces) that third-party programs like Log4OM can use to interface directly to the radio, eliminating the CAT protocol altogether. The API information is on our web site: http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-produc ... rtsdr-api/

I recommend that you share this API information with Terry G4POP, as having them enhance their program to be fully aware of a multiple receiver radio, like the FLEX-6500, they can easily associated radio control with what ever slice they choose, be it the one under mouse control or the one designated as the transmit slice. They can decide on what control behavior best suites their application and their user's needs.

Since your question regarding this support ticket has been addressed, I am changing the status of your HelpDesk ticket to "solved" in order to close it in 4 days. If you have any additional questions regarding this incident, you can re-open this ticket by replying to it or open a new HelpDesk ticket.

Thanks for using the FlexRadio HelpDesk.

Tim Ellison, W4TME
Customer Experience Manager

FlexRadio Systems™
4616 W Howard Ln Suite 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
Phone: 512-535-4713

Thanks again,

Howard
AH6TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

As flex have an API that makes our life easier and enables us to interface directly instead of via CAT, I will add this to our Mantis list of enhancements.

I don't know of any other logging software that has the facility to read both Slices (VFO's) as you require so perhaps you can ask Tim at Flex if there is such a logging program and be kind enought to let us know his response.
73 Terry G4POP
AH6TX
Advanced Class

Post by AH6TX »

they indicate that it is in use with MACLOGGER and HRD.

Howard
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Either will cost you about $100.00 but my choice would be Maclogger because it's a much more up to date UI

Alternatively wait until we implement the API interface with Flex - Your choice!
73 Terry G4POP