using the Portable version.

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
VK7XX
Old Man

using the Portable version.

Post by VK7XX »

The last time I tried running the portable version I had problems, so this time, I want to get it right.

I have downloaded the latest portble and manual. I unzipped the portable files to a USB stick and, before doing anything else, looked at the manual. Page 137 says "If using the Portable download version use the instructions provided with the download .............etc................."

So, I have looked through those files that were unzipped and cannot find any instructions. I would have thought that there waould have been a text file of some desctiption to read but I cannot find anything resembling instructions so, would someone please tell me the name of the instructions file so that I can read it prior to doing anything else and stuffing it up again.

ta muchly,
John
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: using the Portable version.

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi John
Basically the portable version is "self contained". Everything needed is in the USB stick, as well as the backups.

What can be different? Well, when you plug the USB key the OS give you a unit drive LETTER (eg. G:\)
When you store the log file you select, probably, the usb key so the path could be (as example G:\Log\mylog.sqlite)

If you plug the key in another PC, this can assign a different unit letter, eg. F:\
Log4om on start searches the log file on G:\Log\mylog.sqlite but now the unit is F:\

you must manually OPEN DATABASE (file menu) and select the proper folder and file name from F:\ unit

Everything should work out of the box, except this thing that is related to the portable nature of the thing.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
VK7XX
Old Man

Re: using the Portable version.

Post by VK7XX »

Thankyou for your information Daniele. I will now "fire it up" :-)

John

IW3HMH wrote:Hi John
Basically the portable version is "self contained". Everything needed is in the USB stick, as well as the backups.

What can be different? Well, when you plug the USB key the OS give you a unit drive LETTER (eg. G:\)
When you store the log file you select, probably, the usb key so the path could be (as example G:\Log\mylog.sqlite)

If you plug the key in another PC, this can assign a different unit letter, eg. F:\
Log4om on start searches the log file on G:\Log\mylog.sqlite but now the unit is F:\

you must manually OPEN DATABASE (file menu) and select the proper folder and file name from F:\ unit

Everything should work out of the box, except this thing that is related to the portable nature of the thing.