eQSL Image download issues

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
N5INP
Old Man

eQSL Image download issues

Post by N5INP »

Just installed the new version of Log4OM - 1.22.0

I tried the new eQSL image feature. I downloaded all my eQSLs, and opened an image by double clicking it in the QSL archive tab (see attachment). The process as seen here is documented in the attached images.

It appears that all the images downloaded are really .jpg files, but as they are stored they are getting an extension of .png. I have tried this with a lot of the downloaded images and the same thing happens. I will provide any other info as needed.
Attachments
eqsl_error_2.JPG
eqsl_error_2.JPG (27.23 KiB) Viewed 6457 times
eqsl_error_1.JPG
eqsl_error_1.JPG (59.45 KiB) Viewed 6457 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: eQSL Image download issues

Post by G4POP »

A png is a jpg file and displays normally in the Windows OS

What operating system are you using?

As you can see below it works fine so perhaps you have something set wrong in your Widows default file defaults
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (204.26 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

I'm using Win7 - 64 bit. No other problems at all. I have no issues opening jpg or png files with any error messages. My default viewer is the popular irfanview, which I've used for many years.

By the way, I didn't say it wouldn't open, it simply wants to rename the file to the proper format - it does open as the file type it believes it is supposed to be - see the message box.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Then my guess would be that Infranview has a setting that says convert file extensions to jpg

Try the windows viewer set as default and see what happens
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

G4POP wrote:Then my guess would be that Infranview has a setting that says convert file extensions to jpg
No, that's not the problem - irfanview is correct.

Here's what I did to check that. I went directly to eQSL and downloaded a QSL pic. It's native format is .jpg from the eQSL site - just like what irfanview says it is. Irfanview knows what encoding the file is in, and asks you to change the extension if it's not the correct one.

The problem is that log4OM is making the extension .png, which is not the type of encoding that the eQSL pics are - as I said they are .jpg. So when irfanview attempts to open one, it politely asks you if you want to change the extension to the correct one - .jpg. If you do not want to, it will still open the file as it's true format - .jpg, even though the extension that log4OM claims it to be is .png.

I tried Windows Photo Viewer and it disregards the extension and just opens the file. I tested this by renaming the downloaded eQSL file to the incorrect extension ( .png ) and it still opened the file, but it does not have the functionality of irfanview so it doesn't ask you to correct the extension.

The correct type of file extension, that is the one you get directly off of eQSL, is .jpg. I do not understand why log4OM is resetting the extension to .png as shown in the QSO edit screen. The encoding of the file does not change if you simply change the file extension, and jpg files are not the same kind of file as png files. As you can see in the attachment, irfanview clearly shows that an eqsl is a .jpg file from it's encoding.
Attachments
eqsl_error_details.JPG
eqsl_error_details.JPG (56.3 KiB) Viewed 6448 times
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

If you open a single image file you will find that the first bytes reports PNG as file extension.
Also, Log4OM uses the same extension that eQSL is providing.

This is a link to a QSO made by me (link is temporary, so will work for some hours)

http://www.eqsl.cc/CFFileServlet/_cf_im ... 932954.PNG
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi ???
Please bear in mind that downloading automatically by a software API automatically does not necessarily mean the same format of file is obtained as when a user downloads the same file at the front end (From the website) as in this case a download from the web site by a user provides a jpg file whereas the back door auto download provided by eQSL provides a png file.

BTW I see the latest version of Ifranview lists png as a file extension I have downloaded and tested it and find that even if png is selected as a file extension it still displays the warning box when opening a png file.

However if you uncheck the box marked "Ask to rename if incorrect extension" in the ifranView Options/Properties and settings as shown in the graphic below the warning dialog will no longer appear.

So you see its not an error on our part, its a combination of the eqsl download by API and the need to set up ifranView correctly

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (88.64 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

IW3HMH wrote:If you open a single image file you will find that the first bytes reports PNG as file extension.
Also, Log4OM uses the same extension that eQSL is providing.

This is a link to a QSO made by me (link is temporary, so will work for some hours)

http://www.eqsl.cc/CFFileServlet/_cf_im ... 932954.PNG
The file that you open from log4OM. which has a .png extension, is not a png file - it's a jpg file. That's why irfanview is telling you it's got the wrong extension. I just tried it again. If you say it's the fault of eQSL, then that's great, as you have not made an error, nevertheless, it's not a .png file. it's a jpg file.

G4POP wrote:Hi ???
Please bear in mind that downloading automatically by a software API automatically does not necessarily mean the same format of file is obtained as when a user downloads the same file at the front end (From the website) as in this case a download from the web site by a user provides a jpg file whereas the back door auto download provided by eQSL provides a png file.
OK, but that does not change the fact that the downloaded file is what it is - a .jpg file with the wrong extension tacked on.
BTW I see the latest version of Ifranview lists png as a file extension I have downloaded and tested it and find that even if png is selected as a file extension it still displays the warning box when opening a png file.
I saved the downloaded eQSL file using irfanview as a true .png file, and then checked it's image property report. It says it's a .png file. When it's saves back as a .jpg file, it reports it as a .jpg file. There is no inconsistency in this.
However if you uncheck the box marked "Ask to rename if incorrect extension" in the ifranView Options/Properties and settings as shown in the graphic below the warning dialog will no longer appear.
Of course the error report won't appear of you turn that off! Does that mean there is no error in the file encoding with respect to the extension type? No ...
So you see its not an error on our part, its a combination of the eqsl download by API and the need to set up ifranView correctly
There may not be an "error" on your part, if the file is being tagged as a .png by eQSL when it's true encoding is a .jpg. That does not mean there is no error going on in the entire process, because the file is not a true .jpg file, and setting up irfanview to not report that error is not "setting up irfanview correctly". If I turned that off I would be hiding an error. So I really do not understand that comment at all.

If the file that is downloaded is a ,jpg (which it objectively is) then shouldn't log4OM rename the extension to .jpg? Sure, it's a error originating from eQSL, and not your "fault" but why not correct it to it's proper extension? :(
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

No we will use what we download we have no need to change the extension name because normal programs will open it ok as does my copy of Adobe Photoshop.

We can't legistrate for the idiosyncrasies of every piece of software just the mainstream programs like Windows picture viewer, Windows paint, Adobe Creative suite, Microsoft Word, etc etc etc

But it's pointless debating the point any further because we can't change what ifranView does when it sees a png file its not our software and there is not an issue with the other 99.99999999% of programs
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

G4POP wrote:No we will use what we download we have no need to change the extension name because normal programs will open it ok as does my copy of Adobe Photoshop.

We can't legistrate for the idiosyncrasies of every piece of software just the mainstream programs like Windows picture viewer, Windows paint, Adobe Creative suite, Microsoft Word, etc etc etc

But it's pointless debating the point any further because we can't change what ifranView does when it sees a png file its not our software and there is not an issue with the other 99.99999999% of programs
I'm just trying to report errors. Isn't that what this forum section is for? The downloaded file is not a .png file, that's a fact. I feel like you don't want to hear about this, that's the attitude I'm getting from you.