Printing logbook pages

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
ZL2KE
Novice Class

Printing logbook pages

Post by ZL2KE »

Hello - newbie here. I have used Log4OM for a couple of days and like it but I have 2 questions.
Can the logbook be printed, in landscape format, with the Comments section?
Also, can the Comments section be expanded? As more text is added it does increase (horizontally) but I cannot get the Comments section to remain as a larger row, which means additional text cannot be seen.

Thanks, ZL2KE Steve
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Printing logbook pages

Post by G4POP »

ZL2KE wrote:Can the logbook be printed, in landscape format, with the Comments section?
It already prints in landscape mode

1. Go to QSO Archive manager
2. Filter the QSO's to print
3. Highlight them.
4. Click the 'Print' icon at the top - In the resulting dialog box select the settings that you require.

Alternatively if you wish to manipulate the data and layout further before printing then proceed with steps 1 - 3 above but then click the 'To CSV' button to save a Comma Separated Value file which can be opened in a word processor or spreadsheet fo manipulation and printing.
Can the Comments section be expanded? As more text is added it does increase (horizontally)
See page 50 of the user guide 'Column Layout' last paragraph
73 Terry G4POP
ZL2KE
Novice Class

Post by ZL2KE »

Terry - Thanks for the info. I have now managed to change the Layout for the columns that I want, and the column width,
but when I print the page it looks nothing like the new Layout (different order of columns,
columns present that I deleted, and different widths).

I did SAVE and UPDATE, and renamed the file to print.
Is it necessary to close and restart the program, or what am I missing?

Cheers, ZL2KE Steve
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ZL2KE wrote:Terry - Thanks for the info. I have now managed to change the Layout for the columns that I want, and the column width,
but when I print the page it looks nothing like the new Layout (different order of columns,
columns present that I deleted, and different widths).

I did SAVE and UPDATE, and renamed the file to print.
Is it necessary to close and restart the program, or what am I missing?

Cheers, ZL2KE Steve

Hi Steve,
My fault I got confused and did not explain the difference between screen layout and the print side correctly, so!

1. In the QSO archive window changing the layout and column widths only applies to the screen view, not to the 'Print' function

2. The 'Print' format is not user configurable at this time, its on our future ideas list.

However you can print exactly what you require as follows ( I must document this in the user guide)

1. Go to the QSO archive window and select/sort the QSO's that you want to print
2. Highlight the QSO's for printing
3. Click the 'To CSV' button
4. Click 'Configure Fields' button
5. Select the fields to be printed and the order in which you need them displayed
6. Save the configuration by clicking the floppy disk save button
7. Click the 'Open' button and select a location and name for the file
8. Change the separator from | to a comma ","
9. Click the 'Export configured CSV file' button
10. Close the archive windows

You can now open the CSV file that you just saved in any word processor or spreadsheet program and print the log pages as you wish.

Once you have saved the configuration the first time the process is not so long and by using a CSV file in word processors or spreadsheets provided the ultimate flexibility for the user.
73 Terry G4POP
ZL2KE
Novice Class

Post by ZL2KE »

Thanks for the new info Terry.
However now I have to learn :? how to edit the resulting Excel or Open Office Org spreadsheet - I will get there but it will take time. Mainly I will need to change the column widths to set values as now the spreadsheet has columns that are too wide (RST) or too narrow (Comments) for the text entered. Since this is a word processing issue I don't expect an answer here - no problem. In any case I look forward to a future version of the Log4OM that will be able to print - as custom configured - directly from the QSO Archive Manager, or other direct method, and have dark lines and text rather than the light coloured format.

BTW, is there a way to configure the QSO time(s) to NOT show "seconds" but only hours and minutes?

73 Steve ZL2KE
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Steve,
I think there is a global command in the Excel spreadsheet called something like 'Adjust column width to cell value"

I find spreadsheets better than word processors for manipulating data
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

ZL2KE wrote: BTW, is there a way to configure the QSO time(s) to NOT show "seconds" but only hours and minutes?
Seconds are in the ADIF protocol, and Log4OM uses them when saves informations.
There is not, actually, a function to export time as HHMM

Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH