Omnirig and K3 question

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
N0AV
Novice Class

Omnirig and K3 question

Post by N0AV »

When clicking a CW cluster spot my K3 QSYS to the correct frequency but sometimes it switches to CW reverse. I have not been able to determine if there is a pattern to this or not. Is this a setting thing or a problem with Omnirig or Log4om? Can anyone help? Thanks....
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Omnirig and K3 question

Post by G4POP »

N0AV wrote:When clicking a CW cluster spot my K3 QSYS to the correct frequency but sometimes it switches to CW reverse. I have not been able to determine if there is a pattern to this or not. Is this a setting thing or a problem with Omnirig or Log4om? Can anyone help? Thanks....

Welcome to our forum,

We had this come up before and there is another thread about this, however I was unable to determine if it was a K3 glitch or a Log4OM issue!

Unfortunately none of our team have a K3 so its hard for us to check, please see if you can exactly identify how to repeat the problem reliably every time, like...

What windows were displayed at the time
Which cluster
Did you click an entry, in the small cluster, F2 or F9 cluster
Particular band
What frequency
Only CW or also another mode?
Etc etc etc

If you can help us this way we should be able to tie it down
73 Terry G4POP
N0AV
Novice Class

Post by N0AV »

Thanks Terry....double clicking a spot in either the F9, F2 or small cluster makes the radio change to CW reverse at least 90% of the time. The same thing happens when I click a spot in the F10 cluster scanner. It does not seem to matter which windows are open or active. Sometimes the same spot will produce different results. I can click on it once and it will go to CW normal, tune off and then click on it again and it will be CW reverse. I have tried to find a pattern but it is frustrating!

I have used several clusters with the same result. I am currently connected to VE7CC. I have two K3's connected and both do the same thing.

I will continue to look for a pattern but so far I have been unable to determine anything. Thanks for your help.

Jim N0AV
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Jim.
The program log could help us in that (you can find it in the HELP menu when log4om is running)
Can you send us the rows that appears when clicking on the spot? There are many useful informations on this section for us, but if the issues will happens randomly it's really a strange thing to catch in the code.

Thanks in advance
Daniele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
N0AV
Novice Class

Post by N0AV »

Daniele,

I sent you this info in a direct email....

Thanks,

Jim N0AV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N0AV wrote:Thanks Terry....double clicking a spot in either the F9, F2 or small cluster makes the radio change to CW reverse at least 90% of the time. The same thing happens when I click a spot in the F10 cluster scanner. It does not seem to matter which windows are open or active. Sometimes the same spot will produce different results. I can click on it once and it will go to CW normal, tune off and then click on it again and it will be CW reverse. I have tried to find a pattern but it is frustrating!

I have used several clusters with the same result. I am currently connected to VE7CC. I have two K3's connected and both do the same thing.

I will continue to look for a pattern but so far I have been unable to determine anything. Thanks for your help.

Jim N0AV
Jim,
Just a thought, have you had this problem with any other software?
73 Terry G4POP
N0AV
Novice Class

Post by N0AV »

Terry,

No, I have never had an issue like this with any other program and I have tried quite a few of them. I like the layout and the direction that LOG4OM is taking. It has lots of features yet is efficient with keystrokes! I especially like being able to just hit escape to clear the callsign field. So many other programs require clicking "clear" or Alt W or something to that effect. Obviously this is a minor detail but it is something that LOG4OM got right!

Jim N0AV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N0AV wrote:Terry,

No, I have never had an issue like this with any other program and I have tried quite a few of them. I like the layout and the direction that LOG4OM is taking. It has lots of features yet is efficient with keystrokes! I especially like being able to just hit escape to clear the callsign field. So many other programs require clicking "clear" or Alt W or something to that effect. Obviously this is a minor detail but it is something that LOG4OM got right!

Jim N0AV
Jim,
While you wait for us to resolve this issue there may be a way to ease your pain :)

If you mainly use CW so have no need to change mode when you click a cluster spot then in the Settings/Cat & Cluster tab of Log4OM de-select "Cat will set mode when following spot" this way at least the only time you will need to change mode on the rig is if you change to SSB or Data

Hope this helps!
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi, i've read your mail (and answered yet).
I'm currently waiting for info from a friend that had the issue.

i think the issue is related on how K3 manages the "USB" command before the CW, but if the result is unpredictable i'm really in pain, because my commands to rig are everytime the same.

Can you try with hamlib instead of Omnirig? Just to make a test...

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Jim (N0AV)
I did email you with a revised K3.ini for you to try that I think resolves the issue - (Omnirig has the commands reversed)

Guess that you did not receive it otherwise I am sure that you would have replied so I will attach it to this post in case anyone wants to see if it works, I cant test it as I got rid of my K3 some time ago.
Attachments
Elecraft K3.zip
(1000 Bytes) Downloaded 395 times
73 Terry G4POP