Disable "enter key" from auto entering QSO

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
K4ISR
New user

Disable "enter key" from auto entering QSO

Post by K4ISR »

How can I prevent the "Enter" key (on the keyboard) from automatically entering it as a QSO before I am able to enter any further info?
All other websites and programs, the Enter key goes down to the next entry box or looks up the entry/call sign. With Log4OM it automatically enters it as a QSO which then is uploaded to the various services, so I have to go through 5-10 times a day to clear out those false QSOs. If this is not an option, please give us this option with a release in the near future.

Thank you, K4ISR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Disable "enter key" from auto entering QSO

Post by G4POP »

General convention is that the 'tab' key advances from field to field and the 'enter' key actions 'OK' or 'Yes' or 'continue' so that is what we do!

There is no way the user can disable the function, the software has been designed for keyboard entry of QSO's by this method as many other contest and logging programs are
73 Terry G4POP
K4ISR
New user

Post by K4ISR »

Then please at least give us the option to select in Settings? Almost every other program and website I use, Enter is used to progress to the next step, not finalize it...
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

As a career software engineer, Terry is correct. Convention is to use the Tab key to move focus to the next field. The Enter key is used to complete the operation, in the case of Log4OM, logging the contact. Or, in the case of a text area, Enter does a line return, to the next line. Take many websites which ask for a bit of information, and have some kind of button to take you to the next PAGE of the website, not the next field. In those cases, the Enter key will do the same thing as clicking on the button and take you to the next page, but the tab key will take you to the next field, if there are any.

N1MM+ contesting software acts in much the same way, tab goes to the next field, Enter sends the next message or logs the contact, depending where you are in the qso. Even if you do not have Enter Sends Message (ESM mode) selected, Enter logs the contact.

Try using the Tab key, it will do exactly what you want.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

I'm in doubt about the real use but I'll check if I can easily intercept the enter key
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

Actually, there is convention that Tab moves to next field, Enter confirms entering current field or activates current button, and Ctrl-Enter confirms whole operation. It is usually visually marked that button with bolded edge is activated on Ctrl+Enter.

That is used to prevent issues like this one noted by K4ISR.

Also, if Enter is used there is conflict if dialog contains multi line field. User cannot be sure if pressing Enter will create new line in field, or confirm whole dialog.

Due to different conventions, modern software allows user to chose what he likes: Enter or Ctrl+Enter.

As confirming QSO entry causes lots of very significant aftereffects, that are hard to fix, it is advisable to prevent activating it accidentally. Thus, I would prefer using Ctrl+Enter as QSO entry confirmation, as it is highly unlikely that someone would click that unintentionally.

Actually, issue K4ISR mentions is one of the very reasons I had to turn off automatic log uploading. To often I press Enter and had to clean out mess that followed.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs