Lost all SOTA data!

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Lost all SOTA data!

Post by VK7CW »

Hi all,

I have been working a fair bit of SOTA lately and have been using the F2 tab to enter the SOTA data.

It has been working a treat, however yesterday for no apparent reason all the data is gone?

When I enter a QSO and go to the F2 tab and click in the SOTA tabs there is no data?

How can I get all the data back?

Any ideas on how it can just disappear?

Thanks in advance.

73 de Steve VK7CW
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Lost all SOTA data!

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Steve,
SOTA database is retrieved from SOTA website and updated on regular basis.
some weeks ago SOTA had an issue with their systems that prevented us to download the database list.
This is probably the situation. I'll add a check to prevent database removal if something fails on SOTA website.

You can force a SOTA download from SETTINGS -> SOTA database menu

Let me know if that works. Your log should report something like: SOTA Summits List (Date=08/11/2015)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Post by VK7CW »

Hi Danielle,

I have tried that several times. In the log it says it is successful and the 'summitslist.csv' appears to have been updated in my files.

I can open it and all the summits are in the file.

However nothing appears in the F2 tab in the SOTA Association drop down box.
VK2YW
Advanced Class

Post by VK2YW »

Same here ..as Steve says. Just tried again to log a SOTA station. The reference I usually just type it in or double click off the cluster ...the reference goes in OK but doesn't do anything...and you cant log it...so the last few I have just put into comments so I can go back later. Any clues?

John VK2YW
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Post by VK7CW »

Hi John,

Thanks for letting me know that it is not only me having this problem.

I wonder if anyone else using the SOTA database could let us know if they are also missing the database on the F2 tab?

Also can anyone please provide a solution to this problem?

73 de Steve VK7CW
VK2YW
Advanced Class

Post by VK2YW »

Hi Steve,

How long have you had the issue for ?...it was working for me a few days ago...but then just seem to not work. I had been playing with CAT control on my IC-9100 at the time trying to get WSJT working and thought I might have mucked up something there...but backtracked and undid all my changes until I again had the 9100 under CAT. I have been using Allen VK3HRA's cluster as it gives both VK Parks and SOTA plus DX and works well...anyway, I went to double click a SOTA entry and noticed that when the SOTA search box was populated, nothing appeared from the database and of course it doesn't log the unfound SOTA reference. I tried doing it manually but again no luck. Cant understand what might have changed for us both to have similar issues. Unless the latest CSV file for the Associations or Summits is somehow corrupted ...I had a quick look but nothing jumped out at me. And Terry is away for the moment and haven't seen anything further from Danielle.

John VK2YW
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Post by VK7CW »

Hi John,

My issued started on the weekend when I was logging SOTA contacts, I think it was Saturday morning.
I am also using Allen's cluster which auto populates the SOTA data.
Also tried manually but there is no data in the tab.
I have just checked back through my log and all my previous SOTA contacts that had the SOTA Associations logged are missing the SOTA information. However the search tab still has the summit details logged.
Luckily like you, I have all my SOTA contacts logged with the SOTA data in the comments tab as a back up. This may prove to have been a great idea, as I am not sure if all the previous SOTA contacts will ever get the data back in the SOTA tab???
As you are having the same problem which seems to have started at the same time, I would say it is not an individual problem but perhaps something to do with the SOTA website database as you and Danielle have alluded.
However it would be nice to know if anyone else is having the same problem as well.

73 de Steve VK7CW
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

I got the issue. It's a bad FTP upload of the SOTA ASSOCIATIONS list we keep updated.
Please update SOTA DATABASE now, that should fix the issue.

About SAVED data: this will not affect your log, the QSO simply doesn't show up the informations.
This update will bring to life all your stored data that was not harmed and backupped into ADIF files regularly.

I apologize, sometime Excel screw up CSV files...
Give me some feedback
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
VK7CW
Advanced Class

Post by VK7CW »

Hi Danielle,

Thank you my friend. I updated the SOTA database as you suggested and then closed LOG4OM and reopened, and bingo all data is now back as it should be.

Once again many thanks for your help and a great logging software.

73 de Steve VK7CW
VK2YW
Advanced Class

Post by VK2YW »

Woo Hoo :lol: ...likewise all working again ...thanks Danielle. Am surprised more people didn't have the same issue...

John Vk2YW