Elecraft K3 goes to CW-R when click on spot

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
ve3wdm
New user

Elecraft K3 goes to CW-R when click on spot

Post by ve3wdm »

I am using Onnirig CAT control on my K3. When I click on a Cw band spot the K3 always defaults to CW-R. I searched the archives regarding this and found advise on changing INI file under setup. I did this and I still have the same issue. I contacted the programmer for Omnirig and was told his program was designed that way.
Mike
VE3WDM
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Elecraft K3 goes to CW-R when click on spot

Post by NN7D »

Hi Mike,

Yes, you need to reverse several lines in your xxx.ini file for your rig, which OmniRig uses. I am not sure if this is an issue with the ini files, or how Log4OM handles CW and CW-R with OmniRig. I suspect the later. All the ICOM rig .ini files have the same issue.

If you like, send me your ini file and I can make the changes and return to you. Send to svtdoug (at) gmail(dot)com.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
ve3wdm
New user

Post by ve3wdm »

Doug that sounds great I will in the morning make a copy of the INI file and sent it to you. I have changed one area of the INI file and I will inform you when I send the file what lines it was I changed. I am out at the moment and will be getting in late but would be very helpful if you could change things up.
Mike
VE3WDM
kc2nyu
Advanced Class

Post by kc2nyu »

I see it's been a while since this was last discussed, but I just noticed the same issue. Running a K3, Win 10 64 bit PC. Whenever I click on a CW spot in the Cluster , rig switches just fine to the correct freq but the K3 goes to CW Rev. I read about altering the .ini file, but are there any more details on what has to be changed to rectify the issue?

73 & thanks
Paul
kc2nyu
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Paul,

If you do a search of K3 and Omnirig or Elecraft and Omnirig you will find a thread about this hiccup. Alex with Omnirig had coded to a specification and it that spec or the codes that Elecraft has implemented are a smidgen off.

There are some code numbers that have to be swapped in the Elecraft K3.ini file. They have to do with the USB and LSB for CW as that is what is triggering CW-Rev on your K3. I've attached a modified ini file that you can use in the Afreet/OmniRig/Rigs folder. If you like you can rename the file and will just have to select that file from you OmniRig interface button.

Looking inside the INI file under the "set mode" section you have to swap the "3" and "7" for pmCW_U and pmCW_L.

I've attached the file with a "TXT" extension. You will have to rename it to an "INI" file.

Under the "read status" section you can also swap the "3" and "7" for Flag9 and Flag14 which relate to pmCW_U and pmCW_L.

I'm also curious if you happen to have the KIO3B Interface option installed on your K3? It provides the USB capability. I added that to my K3 this past summer. Also what version of Firmware are you running on your K3?

I started noting that with my K3 turned on (and I'm done operating) I will shut down Log4OM first and quite often there will be a substantial "audio reduction" on my rig as Log4OM shuts down. I can easily get the audio back up by simply moving the shift or width knobs or tapping the XFIL key. This started happening with FW V5.50.

I've been working extensively with Wayne at Elecraft and we've not hit on a good answer yet and Alex with OmniRig and Terry and Lele here with Log4OM have also pulled out the stops in giving me hints for troubleshooting.

That being said ... I'm just curious if others might be having a similar "annoyance". The firmware version is key and I think that the new KIO3B interface has to be installed. It is standard on the newer K3S rigs and I know of a couple other OM who are experiencing the same on their newer K3S rigs. Mine is a K3 (older) with the option installed.

Anyway ... I'm sure the attached file will handle your CW-Rev issue.
Attachments
Elecraft_K3.TXT
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
kc2nyu
Advanced Class

Post by kc2nyu »

Thanks to Nolan KI5IO, my issue with the my K3 going to Alt CW whenever I clicked on a spot in the Cluster is fixed. Simple as making a few changes to Omni Rig Elecraft K3.ini file. He attached the file to previous post with the changes already made. Love this Group, very supportive and helpful.

Paul
kc2nyu
N8HN
New user

Post by N8HN »

Good Evening,

I've read through the post here regarding the K3 changing to CW reverse when you click on a cluster spot. I have updated the INI files as suggested yet I am still having this issue. Any body have any additional in-site into what do check next.

Thanks

Stan - N8HN
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N8HN wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 00:50 Good Evening,

I've read through the post here regarding the K3 changing to CW reverse when you click on a cluster spot. I have updated the INI files as suggested yet I am still having this issue. Any body have any additional in-site into what do check next.

Thanks

Stan - N8HN
Did you restart your computer after updating the ini file?
73 Terry G4POP
PE5TT
Advanced Class

Post by PE5TT »

An other thing that might be overlooked is the file extension, the example file has the extension .txt . For some obscure reason windows by default hides extensions of known file types. So you might not see it ads a .txt extension, so you end up with: Elecraft_K3.ini.txt
73 Marcel de PE5TT www.daverveld.eu
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Stan,

I changed the file extension name to"txt" to be able to post here at the forum. When you save the file to your PC change the file extension v
Back to "ini".

That file has the necessary changes in it to put the cw mode normal as opposed to cw-r .
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX