manual frequency correction leaves RX freq in Sat/prop field unchanged leading to "cross" band recorded on LOTW

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: manual frequency correction leaves RX freq in Sat/prop field unchanged leading to "cross" band recorded on LOTW

Post by G4POP »

The bottom line is there is an ADIF field for TX frequency and RX frequency and providing they are both filled with the correct information regardless of having a radio connected or not then LOTW SHOULD be able to resolve the information correctly.

If your not working split then whatever is entered into either field must be reflected by the same value in the other frequency field!

A zero or blank field for either is incorrect and unacceptable by everyone

Working split is a different issue because unfortunately not all radios return the value of both VFO's in their CAT commands.
73 Terry G4POP
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Re: manual frequency correction leaves RX freq in Sat/prop field unchanged leading to "cross" band recorded on LOTW

Post by yo3ipr »

Terry, please read the earlier posts again. LOTW is reading both TX and RX frequency from the ADIF file and if it sees different bands (which it was as a result of the fact that LOG4OM is not synchronising the two when manually editing records) it marks the QSO as "Cross" i.e. crossband - which means it does not qualify for DXCC credit for either band.

Having examined an ADIF of all of my QSO's before, I can see that prior to version 1.23 all log entries showed the RX frequency as zero and this caused no issues. In the release notes I recall a note saying that the RX frequency was a new field.

The problem lies with how the TX and RX frequencies are being used and displayed in LOG4OM. I have explained what needs to be done to get it right and to reflect actual practice. My last post covers it adequately I think and hopefully provides a solution that works for everyone, in summary & refined:

Remove the RX frequency entry from the satellite tab. Show separate TX and RX frequency fields on the main QSO entry tab, with the prominent (larger?) one being RX frequency. If Satellite is not enabled then the TX frequency should be greyed out and set automatically from CAT if it returns separate TX and RX frequencies, if CAT returns only one frequency then TX freq should by synchronised to RX freq automatically. If satellite is enabled then the TX frequency should be manually settable if CAT does not return a value and possibly allowing manual entry to override CAT in if needed at any time when in satellite mode. This should avoid most if not all errors and make everything clearly visible on one tab when entering QSO data. Users working crossband, repeater etc, that needs the 2 frequencies to be different should enable satellite mode.

Hope that helps
73 Tony YO3IPR / G4IPR
VK5PL
Advanced Class

Post by VK5PL »

I had a similar problem today. I worked a station on 40m and later tuned to 20m. I then went to enter the 40m QSO. I changed the frequency but the band was still set by the CAT program to 20m and when I went to save, it brought up an error message different band and frequency or something like that. I did not realise about the CAT program until later.
I have looked at several old QSOs, including before I started using the CAT program and none have the RX frequency listed.
David
VK5PL