Date does not Roll Over at 0000 UTC

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
K9IUQ
Novice Class

Date does not Roll Over at 0000 UTC

Post by K9IUQ »

I just noticed that LOg4OM does not roll over the date automatically at 0000 UTC. I had worked and logged VP8STI at 0110 UTC. Log4OM had been on all afternoon. The next day I noticed the log had the wrong date. That evening I looked at LOG4OM shortly after 0000 UTC and the Date had not changed. Now I have to wonder how many other QSOES have the wrong date in my log? This "feature" could be devastating to DXers wanting LOTW confirmations.

I do not know how LOG4OM gets the Date but I wonder if it gets it from my computer which is on CST and the date does not change until 6 hours after UTC time...
Stan K9IUQ
VK7XX
Old Man

Re: Date does not Roll Over at 0000 UTC

Post by VK7XX »

K9IUQ wrote:I just noticed that LOg4OM does not roll over the date automatically at 0000 UTC. I had worked and logged VP8STI at 0110 UTC. Log4OM had been on all afternoon. The next day I noticed the log had the wrong date. That evening I looked at LOG4OM shortly after 0000 UTC and the Date had not changed. Now I have to wonder how many other QSOES have the wrong date in my log? This "feature" could be devastating to DXers wanting LOTW confirmations.

I do not know how LOG4OM gets the Date but I wonder if it gets it from my computer which is on CST and the date does not change until 6 hours after UTC time...
Stan K9IUQ
Hello Stan. For what it's worth, my log4om does change over time and date at UTC 0000 and I have my computer set to local Tasmania time which is 10 hours different than UTC time. Is your log4om clock (in the 'start' & 'end' times on the right hand side near the add button) showing the correct UTC time and utc date?? if not, there is something amiss in your setup.

John
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

Boy, Stan, you made me run and check my VP8STI QSO (last night, 1/24 at 0009Z) and, luckily, it showed the correct date. What had me wondering was that they've uploaded to ClubLog now, and mine didn't go to "Confirmed", but I am indicated in the log! (Not sure how ClubLog handles that anyway.) But, apparently mine did roll over, and I had been chasing him when it did.

73, Duane
73, Duane AC5AA
K9IUQ
Novice Class

Post by K9IUQ »

Here is what is happening. If I have Log4OM running before 0000UTC it does not roll over the Date to the next day. The UTC time (start and end) is correct. This WILL result in a QSO being logged at the right UTC time but the wrong date.

To get the date to change I can click the manual time box and then unclick it. The Date rolls over then.

If Log4OM is not running and I start it at right after 0000UTC it gets the right date.

The problem only occurs when LOG4OM is running before 0000UTC..... It appears to be repeatable as I have tried several different days.

Stan K9IUQ
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

What is happening is when you do the manual time thing, it refreshes the screen which then loads the date change. That's all it is!
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
K9IUQ
Novice Class

Post by K9IUQ »

What SHOULD happen is when you hit the orange button by the right of the Start Time, the Time AND Date should be accurate. It is not if you allow LOG4OM to be open before 0000UTC. It will not advance the date on its own. To me this is a fatal flaw and should either be fixed or be announced in the manual that the date will not advance automatically (even if you hit the Start Time button) if you have LOG4OM open and running before 0000UTC.

I am really concerned that I have QSOEs with the wrong date because of this "Feature"...
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Stan,

Here is how it works. When you enter a call into the callsign field, Log4OM sets (freezes) the Start date and time, and the End time continues to roll on. So if you have a call in the callsign field, maybe you clicked on a spot a while ago, and then 0000UTC rolls on, you see the start date and time, which is frozen for that call. It just appears that the Start date did not roll over, when actually the end date and time did roll over. If you clear the callsign field you will see that the Start date and time are updated. Or you can click on the Manual time checkbox to update the date and time to current date/time.

So, if you have been hawking some DX for a while (maybe hours... :shock:)and have had their call in the callsign field for a period, and you finally work them, make sure you click the Manual time checkbox before logging the contact, or you may be sadly disappointed. :oops:

I hope this helps,

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
K9IUQ
Novice Class

Post by K9IUQ »

Where I got confused was I assumed hitting the orange button next the the start time would update both the Time and Date even with a call already in the call box. It does not, it only updates the time, not the date. Since I now know about this peculiarity I will pay special attention to the date when I log a QSO shortly after 0000UTC when the logger has been open for a while before 0000UTC.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Stan,

Ok, I now understand - it was the orange button you were pressing. In my view, that should also update the date. I will test that later today when we rollover UTC time to 0000.

Thanks!

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

The correct method is to enter the call but don't move the cursor from the call sign field until the QSO starts

So you enter K5P and wait until you bust the pile up

As you make contact hit the Tab key on your keyboard and the cursor moves out of the call sign field which stops the clock and sets the start date and time

You finish the QSO and hit the enter key or add button which records the end date and time and saves the QSO to the log
73 Terry G4POP