Date does not Roll Over at 0000 UTC

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Date does not Roll Over at 0000 UTC

Post by NN7D »

Thanks Terry,

That was the missing piece of info - that moving the cursor out of the callsign field stops the start time.

I think I found a anomaly in that method however. When doing a single or double click on a spot, I was getting inconsistent behavior, and that may contribute to what Stan originally reported. If you click on a spot which does NOT change mode (i.e. your last Log4OM setting for mode was SSB, and click on a spot which is Phone), then the cursor stays in the callsign field and the start time continues to count. BUT, if you click on a spot which is in a different mode, the cursor leaves the callsign field after adding the new call and moves to the mode field to change it, and the cursor focus stays in the mode field, causing the start time to stop. Not consistent behavior...

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Back to Stan's original report, I have tested what the date does when time rolls over at 0000 UTC. Stan seems to have a point. Here is what I found. When you stop the start time and date by moving the cursor from the callsign field, or by clicking on a spot which changes the mode (see my previous post), and then you don't work the station until after the 0000 UTC rollover, then click the orange button to refresh the time, the date does not update. If you now log that contact, it is recorded with the previous day's date which amounts to a 24 hour error. :o I have tested this repeatedly by resetting my computer's clock, and it does it every time.

But if you click on the Manual time checkbox before logging, then that updates the start time AND date.

I would think that clicking the orange button should update the date, as well as the start time. :?:

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I would think that clicking the orange button should update the date, as well as the start time.
I agree it should
73 Terry G4POP
K9IUQ
Novice Class

Post by K9IUQ »

Keeping the cursor in the call field is not going to work as I do other clicking in Log4OM and frequently even leave Log4OM open and go to another program like HDSDR. In the heat of a pileup why do I have to remember to put the cursor back into the call box?

You may disagree BUT the orange button should update both Time AND Date. Other Loggers automatically update the Date when 0000UTC happens. Log4OM needs to do this too and not make the operator jump thru hoops just to get the right date when 0000UTC happens.
K9IUQ
Novice Class

Post by K9IUQ »

Thanks for checking this out Doug. This LOG4OM feature almost cost me a wrong date on VP8STI. Fortunately I spotted the error before I uploaded my log to LOTW or Clublog.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

You may disagree BUT the orange button should update both Time AND Date. Other Loggers automatically update the Date when 0000UTC happens. Log4OM needs to do this too and not make the operator jump thru hoops just to get the right date when 0000UTC happens.
Did I not just agree with you in my last post?

I have already identified this issue to Lele!
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

W7DRM wrote:Thanks Terry,
That was the missing piece of info - that moving the cursor out of the callsign field stops the start time.
Doug - W7DRM
This is an user selectable option.
I'm usually don't work that way, saving QSO DATE/TIME at the time i press the ENTER button.
Other has different habits, and asked time is locked when they leave the callsign field (and reset if callsign is changed).
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

So what I think Daniele is saying is if you go into Settings, Settings 2 tab, and uncheck the "SET start time when leaving the Callsign field" near the bottom of the window, that the start time and date will not stop. So there would not be any possibility of a date not rolling over. And, the start and end time will be the same for each qso logged. I am going to uncheck this box on my install!

But, in that the option is available to stop the start time for those who want to record the beginning of the QSO (box checked), it would be swell to get the Orange button feature to update the date also.

Thanks Daniele,

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Orange button now sets the date too.

QSO End date in main user interface is automatically managed by Log4OM.
I've fixed a small "glitch" that could cause troubles in case of date time set in manual mode with REAL END TIME flag checked.

Will be released to beta testers soon
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
K9IUQ
Novice Class

Post by K9IUQ »

Great News on the orange button setting the correct time AND Date.
Thank You