Incorrect Timestamp for Dxpeditions

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
w0ls
Advanced Class

Incorrect Timestamp for Dxpeditions

Post by w0ls »

I have seen some comments lately about incorrect date and or time stamp in logs. I had this happen on all the recent dxpeditons and finally figured out what was going on. There is a checkbox in settings 1 that was checked that says "Set starttime when leaving call sign field". Mine was checked, not sure if this is the default but I do not remember checking it. So when working dxpeditons often I will click in the cluster on the call. The call goes to the call field. Then I might do something like do a QRZ lookup or click on recent QSO's or QSO information etc. As soon as you do that it stops the start time clock and of course I did not notice it. So if it takes you more than 30 minutes to make contact, when you enter the station in the log there is a big difference between start time and stop time. The start time is what is looked at by lotw and clublog as the QSO time and its off far enough so you do not get a match. I had lots of changes to make because of this. I have unchecked that box. Just an fyi...unless I am doing something wrong that I am not aware of...

Harry
W0LS
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Incorrect Timestamp for Dxpeditions

Post by IW3HMH »

This flag should not be enabled by default.
Was requested by operators that made long QSO with friends, to keep track of the "real" lenght of each QSO (minutes)...

During normal operations, DX catching and similar activities this field should be disabled (my suggestion) to avoid errors.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
w0ls
Advanced Class

Post by w0ls »

Daniele I just upgraded from 1.23 to 1.24 and the "SET start time when leaving the CALLSIGN field" was set and I had to disable it again. So unless something else was involved it appears this was set as a default...just FYI. I also noticed that when I did a lookup it went to HamQTH instead of QRZ. Had to change the Web External source flag. No big deal...and thanks for such a great product.

73's
Harry
W0LS
w0ls
Advanced Class

Post by w0ls »

Daniele...this may have been my problem as that flag might have been set again in 1.23...so forget what I said about defaults.

73's
Harry
W0LS
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

As someone who has always used the "start QSO time when leaving Callsign field" due to it being very useful in a previous logger, let me ask this question. If you turn this option off, exactly when is the time set for the start of the QSO? When "Enter" is hit? (and I notice one must be in the callsign field to "enter" and save a QSO.) Just trying to figure out the workflow. I've resorted to hitting the "red" square next to the QSO start time once I make the Q. (I have absolutely no need for an "end time" as it is used nowhere that I know of.)

Thanks for what is shaping up to be an excellent logger!

73, Duane
73, Duane AC5AA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ac5aa wrote:As someone who has always used the "start QSO time when leaving Callsign field" due to it being very useful in a previous logger, let me ask this question. If you turn this option off, exactly when is the time set for the start of the QSO? When "Enter" is hit? (and I notice one must be in the callsign field to "enter" and save a QSO.) Just trying to figure out the workflow. I've resorted to hitting the "red" square next to the QSO start time once I make the Q. (I have absolutely no need for an "end time" as it is used nowhere that I know of.)

Thanks for what is shaping up to be an excellent logger!

73, Duane
With option "start QSO time when leaving Callsign field" turned off the time that you add the QSO is set as both the start and the end time
73 Terry G4POP
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

Thanks, once again, Terry!
73, Duane AC5AA