Lag when typing in callsign field

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
WB4IT
Advanced Class

Lag when typing in callsign field

Post by WB4IT »

I have some pretty bad lag when typing in the callsign field. It lags on entry and when pressing backspace. I've tried disabling the lookup and cluster analysis features, but they don't make any difference, so I turned them back on. My system is a Core i5, 8 GB ram and SSD hard disk running Win 7, so I don't think the lag is due to hardware.

I have 7500 Q's in Log4OM. I saw some suggestions for creating a new database and re-importing a backup. Is there anything else I should try before doing that?

Thanks, Brian
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Lag when typing in callsign field

Post by G4POP »

What version of Log4OM are you using and do you have all the settings 1 check boxes enabled as below
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
73 Terry G4POP
WB4IT
Advanced Class

Post by WB4IT »

I have 1.24.0.0. I currently have all of those checked, but I have tested with with all of them off, and I don't notice a difference in speed either way.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Sent you an email
73 Terry G4POP
I3LTT
Novice Class

Post by I3LTT »

It happens to me too.
I use the Brian version but even with 1.23.00 the problem was the same.
With earlier versions I do not realized it.
I see that on a laptop with AMD cpu quadricore and 4Gb ram and S.O. W7. Work faster with all write programs like LibreOffice and standard use software. I do not expect it to be fast with photo processing software, but it is able to do light processing.
I don't think that Log4OM is an heavy software and may be faster on my laptop!
On desktop computer, cpu intel quad core and 8Gb RAM and S.O. W10, goes faster and I do not notice slowdowns by typing in the the callsign field.
Today I read the post from Brian so I added my experience.
Thanks for the attention.
73, Giulio I3LTT
WB4IT
Advanced Class

Post by WB4IT »

The lag issue was caused by .NET Framework. I noticed that many functions in Log4OM were running slower than they should be. I went to microsoft.com and grabbed the latest .NET Framework and Log4OM is now very snappy and responsive.

I don't know if there's a problem with the version I was using (4.5.2), but something was definitely wrong with my installation. I ended up installing the 4.5.3 preview version. I probably could have removed/re-installed the same version of .NET framework and fixed it too.

Two major symptoms: Backspacing or typing in the call-sign field was 1-2 seconds per character. Also, cluster commands took forever. sh/mydx/50 could take up to 2 minutes.

I hope this helps someone else.
I3LTT
Novice Class

Post by I3LTT »

Thanks Brian,
I read your prompting and I installed .NET Framework 4.6.1, the last one on the Microsoft website.
Now seems to be no more delay in typing in the field of call and also the cluster is much more responsive than before.
I hope this has solved the problem and that others can be helped by your suggestion.
Now it's late and I turn off everything, I try better tomorrow and I am sure that everything will be ok!
Thanks Brian!

73, Giulio I3LTT
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Interesting talks.
Log4om is still locked to Framework 4.0, due to XP compatibility that doesn't support anything newer than 4.
Anyway i've read on the net about some slowdown due to bad / corrupted installations of the .NET framework.

This is an interesting topic, thanks for sharing, it could help other peoples!
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

I have .Net 4.6.1 installed and have noticed an occasional delay (approx 2-3 secs) when pressing the 'Esc' key to clear the callsign.
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
I3LTT
Novice Class

Post by I3LTT »

Well, after a few days of use and after some unidentified Windows update no longer see delays writing, deleting or changing the callsign.
I confirm that I use .net framework installed 4.6.1 after reading Brian's suggestion. I think he has been right!
It may be that it is retroactive and compatible with the release 4.0 and does not create problems in Log4OM.
Anyway after loading the database the program runs smoothly.
These are my latest observations.
73, I3LTT Giulio.