Can't select different mode

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Can't select different mode

Post by NN7D »

Working with a user (WU6C) who has a particular issue with selecting a mode different from the assigned mode. When he tries to change the mode from SSB to RTTY, for example, the drop-down appears, but when he move the mouse into the drop down area, the drop down disappears. It is impossible to change modes, unless he uses the padlock button, changes the mode, then logs the contact. Problem with that is now the mode is locked and if you don't remember to unlock the padlock, you may log an incorrect mode next QSO.

Weird is that I don't have this issue. I can easily change the mode without using the padlock button. User is on v. 1.24 (also tried it with 1.25B2 but same result) He is on Windows 10, while I am on Windows 7 is the only major difference. Otherwise we have identical rigs and nearly identical hardware. Both using OmniRig with same settings.

Ah ha, found something which may be a clue. When we Suspend CAT reading, then we can select and override the mode. So his CAT is somehow preventing even the drop down from staying down? But not on my rig, with same Transciever (7600), same amp, same CI-V router and same OmniRig settings? In any case, I would think programmically, an OnClick event on the dropdown could disable CAT mode updates until the next QSY, would solve the issue.

Stumped,

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
VK7XX
Old Man

Re: Can't select different mode

Post by VK7XX »

W7DRM wrote:Working with a user (WU6C) who has a particular issue with selecting a mode different from the assigned mode. When he tries to change the mode from SSB to RTTY, for example, the drop-down appears, but when he move the mouse into the drop down area, the drop down disappears. It is impossible to change modes, unless he uses the padlock button, changes the mode, then logs the contact. Problem with that is now the mode is locked and if you don't remember to unlock the padlock, you may log an incorrect mode next QSO.

Weird is that I don't have this issue. I can easily change the mode without using the padlock button. User is on v. 1.24 (also tried it with 1.25B2 but same result) He is on Windows 10, while I am on Windows 7 is the only major difference. Otherwise we have identical rigs and nearly identical hardware. Both using OmniRig with same settings.

Ah ha, found something which may be a clue. When we Suspend CAT reading, then we can select and override the mode. So his CAT is somehow preventing even the drop down from staying down? But not on my rig, with same Transciever (7600), same amp, same CI-V router and same OmniRig settings? In any case, I would think programmically, an OnClick event on the dropdown could disable CAT mode updates until the next QSY, would solve the issue.

Stumped,

Doug - W7DRM
It's not weird for me Doug. My system behaves exactly the same as your friends. I cannot change modes unless I click the padlock button. In fact, I always thought that it was essential to click the padlock before changing modes. My understanding of the way that this works is that when the padlock is not active, the mode it taken from the radio. And when you want to choose a different non radio mode such as JT65, you then click the padlock and choose the mode to be logged.

John
VK7XX
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

John,

Thanks for the input. My installation of Log4OM has never worked that way. I have always been able to override the mode without clicking on the padlock. The purpose of the padlock is if you want to lock the mode for multiple QSO's. You should not have to click on it just to change the mode. CAT should update the mode at the time you click on a spot, or change the mode from the rig, and one time only. Then it should be settable by the user.

We need to figure out why we are seeing two different behaviors from users. What rig are you using, and what are your OmniRig settings, if you don't mind? Also OS?

Thanks,

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

W7DRM wrote:John,

Thanks for the input. My installation of Log4OM has never worked that way. I have always been able to override the mode without clicking on the padlock. The purpose of the padlock is if you want to lock the mode for multiple QSO's. You should not have to click on it just to change the mode. CAT should update the mode at the time you click on a spot, or change the mode from the rig, and one time only. Then it should be settable by the user.

We need to figure out why we are seeing two different behaviors from users. What rig are you using, and what are your OmniRig settings, if you don't mind? Also OS?

Thanks,

Doug - W7DRM
OS is the ancient old but reliable XP Pro :-) Rig is an IC-7800 and omnirig settings are standard defaults, COM1 9600 baud 8 data no parity 1 stop RTS high DTR high.
Last edited by VK7XX on 12 Mar 2016, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

Don't know if this helps, but with a different rig (FLEX-6000/SmartSDR), Omnirig, SCat, I can select a different mode after jumping on a spot (i.e., a PSK-31 spot that sends the rig to Digi-U, but sets the mode to be logged to "USB.") It remains on PSK-31 regardless of what I do except for jumping on the spot again. Hey, at least the locked mode shows up as an ORANGE background on the field, so it's easy to remember it's turned on. (ver 1.24, Windows 7/64)
73, Duane AC5AA
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

ac5aa wrote:Don't know if this helps, but with a different rig (FLEX-6000/SmartSDR), Omnirig, SCat, I can select a different mode after jumping on a spot (i.e., a PSK-31 spot that sends the rig to Digi-U, but sets the mode to be logged to "USB.") It remains on PSK-31 regardless of what I do except for jumping on the spot again. Hey, at least the locked mode shows up as an ORANGE background on the field, so it's easy to remember it's turned on. (ver 1.24, Windows 7/64)
Thanks Duane. Do you have to click on the padlock button to change modes in the above case?

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Doug,
I am very confused, not unusual for me!

Changing the mode in the drop down menu was never designed to change the mode on the radio and I have just double checked and it does not change the mode on my IC7600

Because the radio is frequently polled to obtain frequency and mode information as soon as you change freq or mode on the radio Log4OM changes it's freq and mode to match.

This is the reason we added the "Suspend CAT reading" facility in the settings drop down menu to enable users that also used another radio that was not CAT connected to log manually without the connected radio continuously changing the freq & mode settings when being polled.
73 Terry G4POP
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

W7DRM wrote: Thanks Duane. Do you have to click on the padlock button to change modes in the above case?

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - No! Sequence is that I jump on a Digital spot (for example), and it sets my FLEX to DIGI-U mode but Log4OM shows USB. I click the Mode selector and select "RTTY" and it sticks. Now if I go to the rig and select RTTY there as well, it stays on RTTY in Log4OM. However, if I select CW, then Log4OM switches to CW. Switching the rig back to RTTY does not change the mode setting. I suspect this is due to RTTY not being defined in the rig file. (If I then switch the rig to USB, Log4OM follows, and then if I change "Mode" to DIGI-U it sticks. Switching to RTTY also sticks.) Although this seems confusing, the logic of waht is going on makes sense, but at some point I need to have it switch to RTTY when I click a RTTY spot (subject of another post.)

Hope this is useful, however since this is a different rig, I suspect the results are different.

73, Duane
73, Duane AC5AA
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

G4POP wrote:Doug,
I am very confused, not unusual for me!
nor is it unusual for me :-)
Changing the mode in the drop down menu was never designed to change the mode on the radio and I have just double checked and it does not change the mode on my IC7600

Because the radio is frequently polled to obtain frequency and mode information as soon as you change freq or mode on the radio Log4OM changes it's freq and mode to match.

This is the reason we added the "Suspend CAT reading" facility in the settings drop down menu to enable users that also used another radio that was not CAT connected to log manually without the connected radio continuously changing the freq & mode settings when being polled.
which is exactly what I thought, and why my post above included "In fact, I always thought that it was essential to click the padlock before changing modes. My understanding of the way that this works is that when the padlock is not active, the mode it taken from the radio."

John
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Terry,
G4POP wrote:Changing the mode in the drop down menu was never designed to change the mode on the radio and I have just double checked and it does not change the mode on my IC7600
To clarify, I don't think anyone was suggesting that...
G4POP wrote:Because the radio is frequently polled to obtain frequency and mode information as soon as you change freq or mode on the radio Log4OM changes it's freq and mode to match.
That makes sense. What we are seeing though it two different behaviors. In my case, and others, I can override the mode and it sticks or stays that way, until I change modes on the rig, or double click on a spot with a different mode. But other users can't override the mode without clicking on the padlock button. We are trying to figure out why two different behaviors, so everyone can override mode without clicking and locking the Padlock button.
G4POP wrote:This is the reason we added the "Suspend CAT reading" facility in the settings drop down menu to enable users that also used another radio that was not CAT connected to log manually without the connected radio continuously changing the freq & mode settings when being polled.
My recollection was we added the Suspend CAT reading so we could manually enter QSO's and change the Frequency of the QSO. ??

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA