QTF Heard Island

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
pa2kw
Advanced Class

QTF Heard Island

Post by pa2kw »

Hello,

I just entered Heard Island in the log entry field (to check antenne direction for beverage) and noticed 180 deg.
My feeling says : this is wrong (just good guess it should be close to 135 or so from PA land)
Is there some "error" on the position of Heard Island in the database or am I doing something wrong?

73's, Evert PA2KW
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: QTF Heard Island

Post by G4POP »

Evert,
My guess is that you did not have the correct grid locator either from your online lookup or manual entry, see my screen shot below
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (171.57 KiB) Viewed 5960 times
73 Terry G4POP
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

There appears to be another problem with Heard Island. When I type in the call that Terry used above, the beam headings and map are correct, but the IOTA is missing. I did a search and is seems that Heard Island is AN-003 however, there is no AN-003 in the IOTA drop down list (F2)

If AN-003 is correct for Heard Island, it needs adding in to the drop down list ASAP. If I am lucky enough to work Heard Isl, I guess I can edit the contact later but it would be better if it did it at the time. Can I add AN-003 to the Log4OM list manually ??? if so, how please ?

John
VK7XX

PS, I have just downloaded the latest IOTA database, AN-003 still not there)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Then blame IOTA because that's the list we use, if they don't include it then we cant display the reference
73 Terry G4POP
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

G4POP wrote:Then blame IOTA because that's the list we use, if they don't include it then we cant display the reference
thanks for your reply Terry. yep, thats exactly what I am doing, and the reason I asked if there was a way to add it in myself. I have now sent through an email to RSGB .

cheers
John
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Problem is John if you modify the file the next IOTA download will overwrite it so your back to square one
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

John,
Seems were buggered whatever we do

On QRZ.com VK0EK has added the AN-003 reference but not the locator so we get the correct IOTA but the map is screwed

On HamQTH there is very little detail

On QRZCQ the standard information is available but neither IOTA or Locator
73 Terry G4POP
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

G4POP wrote:John,
Seems were buggered whatever we do
yep, know that feeling... geez I hate computers. Would you believe... when I started the logging program again today, it now shows AN-003 in the list... duhhhhh. I tried it 3 times yesterday, even rebooting the machine after installing the latest data and it just did not show.
On QRZ.com VK0EK has added the AN-003 reference but not the locator so we get the correct IOTA but the map is screwed

On HamQTH there is very little detail

On QRZCQ the standard information is available but neither IOTA or Locator
not much more I can say.... thanks Terry

John
pa2kw
Advanced Class

Post by pa2kw »

Hello Terry,

Thanks for the reply.
If I read your first answer I conclude that the QTF is only based on a QTH locator and not on a DXCC when the locator is missing?

(I would suggest first reference would be the locator but when missing based on a DXCC, probably less accurate but better then nothing).

73's, Evert PA2KW
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

When I type in VK0EK, it shows the country as Antarctica, and AN-003 is not in the drop down list. However, if I change the country to Heard Is., then AN-003 is in the list.

Jim N6VH