Is there a way to stop LOTW QSL's updating locator (grid square)?

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Is there a way to stop LOTW QSL's updating locator (grid square)?

Post by yo3ipr »

Quick question..

When downloading QSL's from LOTW the other stations locator (grid square) is automatically updated to match what they have set in LOTW, which is sometimes wrong. Is there any way to prevent the update of the locator when downloading QSLs from LOTW?

P.S This is normal behaviour and I have observed it many times.
e.g PY2VA - LOG4OM showed GG66rj as per QRZ.com which is correct. LOTW however shows GG66KU and after QSL download this gets updated in LOG4OM.
How did I discover this? All my logs are automatically uploaded to HRDLog.net and I get a report from there regularly which shows all new LOTW confirmations and if the locators disagree it tells me.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to stop LOTW QSL's updating locator (grid square)?

Post by IW3HMH »

i can easily remove that integration.
Anyone else needs this or has concerns about the modification?
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Think it´s o.k. to remove the automatted locator updates from the LotW. Mostly the grids are grabbed by qrz.com or other services are up 2 date while LotW is using the squares where you registered with at the first time. So grids will be changed to the wrong ones ...

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

If you are using the LOTW QSL for a grid square award (VUCC for example), then whatever is in the LOTW QSL is what would be used for the award. You could try contacting the other station and ask him to make the correction in his TQSL program and reload the log. It's easy to do, no need for a new certificate.

This probably isn't the case here, but there is also the possibility that a station is operating from other than his home QTH, in which case the grid would be different.

Jim N6VH
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your comments. Yes, the grid squares are usually pulled from QRZ.com. Sometimes they are wrong or missing at QRZ.com and sometimes the grid square in LOTW for the other station is wrong. It is true that you can set up multiple locations for different operations on LOTW but these are not the majority of cases and I found some people with grid squares on LOTW in the middle of the ocean! Of course the grid squares may be important for some awards too.

In my case I manually adjust any obviously wrong grid squares and it is annoying that LOTW then changes them. In fact many may have been changed without my noticing it :(

I think the best option would be to allow the user to turn off the automatic grid square update in the settings for LOTW.

Thank & 73

Tony YO3IPR
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Daniele

Is there a simple way to implement an option in settings (external logs) to turn on or off the "update LOC" from LOTW. I could really use this right now. I try to keep an accurate record of locators (grid squares) in my log (for mapping purposes) but recently I have been astonished recently by how many people have the wrong locator in their LOTW (TQSL) setup. Many have just a 4 character locator, instead of the usually accepted 6, and some are just completely wrong. Right now if I see a new QSL in LOTW (on the webpage) I save the existing locator from LOG4OM before downloading the QSL and if they do not agree I manually correct the log entry and make a note that LOTW showed something different. This is time consuming and inconvenient. I hope you can help. 73 Tony YO3IPR
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Daniele,
I was hoping that an option would be available in settings to disable "update Grid Square from LOTW on QSL" for the latest release. Any chance to put it there in future? It would be really useful. Many people have a wrong grid square in LOTW or sometimes just a 4 character grid square, whereas I try to keep these accurate in my logs for mapping etc.

Thanks, 73 & Happy New Year
Tony YO3IPR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

yo3ipr wrote:Hi Daniele,
I was hoping that an option would be available in settings to disable "update Grid Square from LOTW on QSL" for the latest release. Any chance to put it there in future? It would be really useful. Many people have a wrong grid square in LOTW or sometimes just a 4 character grid square, whereas I try to keep these accurate in my logs for mapping etc.

Thanks, 73 & Happy New Year
Tony YO3IPR
Possibly in V2 but as you are aware V1 is now on maintenance only
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

This could be a small enhancement, easy to do... Unfortunately we have just had a release...
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Thanks Terry & Daniele

If it's possible in the next maintenance release (if or when there is one) it would be great. It is highly likely I will follow you to V2 however when the time comes. I am more than happy with LOG4OM.

Happy New Year to you and all the team and all supporters and users.

73 Tony YO3IPR / G4IPR