Seeking Input: Log4OM - K3 or K3S and Audio Drop

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Seeking Input: Log4OM - K3 or K3S and Audio Drop

Post by KI5IO »

This issue was first posted by Les (W8MSP) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2463&hilit=omnirig+and+elecraft+k3

I have also been experiencing the same issue (albeit it is intermittent for both Les and I) and have done extensive testing, debugging and such ... still with no solid results for a fix.

Thus, I'm asking for additional thoughts from the Log4OM users who also use an Elecraft K3 or K3S. Certain parameters need to be considered and I've listed below what I've been able to learn this past fall. BTW ... Wayne Burdick (Elecraft Engineer/Owner) has been helping with many suggestions and even advanced copies of Beta Firmware ... yet no joy. In fact I just got an e-mail from him indicating that they have done the best they can do at their end to for me to keep him informed as I learn more. No disrespect to Wayne ... he and the folks at Elecraft have been very helpful. He also noted that they now depend a bit more heavily on front-panel flash memory and if my flash IC reads are a little bit marginal it might cause intermittent operating artifacts of various kinds.

Problem: When closing down Log4OM (and K3 or K3S is still on) the audio level will drop/lower substantially. It is easily restored by minimally touching either the Shift or Width knobs or touching the XFIL button. One can also restart Log4OM and click on the same spot or a new spot and the audio will also restore.

My K3 Configuration:
- K3 with the new KIO3B Interface Option installed giving me both USB and RS232 access (all K#s rigs have this as standard).
- Problem started with FW V5.50 and later for the K3 and K3S.
- Works without issue when I revert "back" to FW V5.38.
- I've used both USB and RS232 I/O between my laptop and the K3 and the same problem will still occur.

With my testing and communications with Elecraft, OmniRig, Terry and Lele as well as Les and Markus I'm still thinking there is some errant code that is being sensed by the K3 for whatever reason.

Bottom line is that I'm seeking some additional 'out of the box' suggestions from other users who might have a somewhat similar configuration with the KIO3B interface (your K3S will have it default) and using FW V5.50 or later.

Thanks in advance.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX