JT 65 logging problem

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
KC0EM
Novice Class

JT 65 logging problem

Post by KC0EM »

I have a problem that I have been unable to fix. When I finish a JT65 QSO and tell WSJT-X to log it, I get an error message telling me it has been logged in the WSJT-X program but not in Log40M. The logging program seems to be connected as it follows the frequency and both little communication buttons at the bottom of the screen are green. The logging program also seems to be talking to the other programs – JTAlertX knows if I have already worked a station, if the station is needed for WAS, and so on. I have uninstalled everything and reinstalled everything twice without fixing the problem. I think I must have obviously missed something important, but I cannot figure it out what it might be. I have even done the most unlikely on ham thing and use the instruction book to install the program – grin. Below are all the programs in use and the rig. Thanks in advance for your help.
“VC”
KC0EM

WSJT-X V1.5.0 r5512
Log40M V1.26.0.0
JTAlertX 2.8.4
OmniRig V?? downloaded & installed 11/24/16
The rig is a Flex 6500. I am using Com 4 for WSJT-X & Com 5 for OmniRig. The 6500 changes bands when I change bands on the WSJT-X program and Log40M also follows right along with the frequency and band changes.
N6VH
Old Man

Re: JT 65 logging problem

Post by N6VH »

Have you checked Log4OM to see if the QSO was logged? Sometimes the error message shows up, even though the QSO was logged. If this is the case, try this. In JTAlert, go to Settings/Miscellaneous/Performance and increase the time under Check QSO Log Record. I have mine set to 10 seconds.

Incidentally, the most recent stable release of WSJT-X is v1.6.0 and JTAlertX is 2.8.6.

Jim N6VH
KC0EM
Novice Class

Post by KC0EM »

Jim,

Thanks, it is not logged and the automated updates to other logs also was not done. With everything else working, it is very frustrating not to have the automatic log feature working.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

KC0EM wrote: it is very frustrating not to have the automatic log feature working.
The function of JT65 logging to Log4OM is purely a JT65 action, nothing is done by Log4OM, JT65 writes directly to our database

As many other users have JT65 working fine with Log4OM I am led to believe that either you have something set up incorrectly on the JT65 software or perhaps you are not running Log4OM as an administrator.

However you might find that you get some more useful suggestions if you approach the author of the JT65 software or perhaps ask the same question on their forum.
73 Terry G4POP
kc2nyu
Advanced Class

Post by kc2nyu »

Jim - have you taken a look at JTAlert. It adds all kinds of add-on features to WSJTX or the strictly JT65 programs. It has good interface for setting up logging to different programs. I have been using it for a long time. It has great help file and excellent user support via Yahoo Group. JTAlert is avaialable at http://hamapps.com/
Paul
kc2
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

kc2nyu wrote:Jim - have you taken a look at JTAlert. It adds all kinds of add-on features to WSJTX or the strictly JT65 programs. It has good interface for setting up logging to different programs. I have been using it for a long time. It has great help file and excellent user support via Yahoo Group. JTAlert is avaialable at http://hamapps.com/
Paul
kc2
Paul,

If you were addressing the OP, I don't think his name is Jim. My name is Jim, and I don't have any logging problems (yes, I use JTAlert). The OP has logging problems, and he is using JTAlert, as is stated in his original post.

Jim N6VH
KC0EM
Novice Class

Post by KC0EM »

Hi everyone,

First, let me think everyone who has tried to help me. The first thing I did was to upgrade WSJT-X and JTAlertX. Terry, I was unsure what I might have gotten wrong in setting up WSJT-X. The only thing that seems to be of any consequence is the “Reporting” tab. You are given the server address and the port to use. I left them that way and arranged JTAlertX to use them. That program still seems be working perfectly with them, but I still cannot get WSJT-X to log into the Log40M database. I still get the same notice that it has not been logged to the logging program but the contact is recorded in the WSJT-X log program. I am still at a loss of what to do. I have made sure to run all of the programs in the administrator mode. Everything seems to be working with the simple exception of logging from WSJT-X to Log40M. This is a hobby so I have limited time I can spend trying to chase down this problem. Does anyone(?!?!?) have any suggestions what I am might want to try this coming week? :(
Thanks.
VK3AMA
Advanced Class

Post by VK3AMA »

KC0EM, I rarely visit this forum, you need to post to the JTAlert support group (see link, top of HamApps.com) to get some assistance, it is the official channel for JTAlert support. There are many Log4OM/JTAlert users there that can help if I am unavailable to answer your message in a timely manner (time zone differences between VK and US).

Make sure you setup Log4OM per the instructions in the JTAlert help file (Settings -> Logging -> Log4OM topic). Also, Log4OM Communicator has to be running, sounds to me like it isn't.

de Laurie, VK3AMA
(JTAlert Developer)
KC0EM
Novice Class

Post by KC0EM »

Hi,

I will try the JTAlert support group. The Log40M communicator is running. I have the feeling I have made such a simple mistake that no one thinks I could be that stupid, so they never asked me the key question. The JTAlert seems to be working. It tells me when I see a station that I work before, B4, or if I need something for an award. Everything seems to have access to the database for logging but still the simple logging function does not work – that is why I think I have made such a simple mistake that no one would think it could be made. Thanks for your help.
log error.PNG
log error.PNG (8.29 KiB) Viewed 7192 times
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

VC,

It is likely you have the incorrect path and file name to your Log4OM database set in JTAlert. In JTAlert, go to Settings, Manage Settings, Logging, Log4OM section. There you will find the "Log Server and SQLite File path". This must be set exactly to match the path & file name which you will find on the main Log4OM window in the lower right corner.

While on that settings page in JTAlert, also check that the Server IP Address is set to "127.0.0.1" and the UDP Port matches the port set in Log4OM Communicator, Settings, Inbound, Inbound Settings - the default value is 2236. All of this is explained on pages 182, 183 of the Log4OM User Guide dated 16May2016.

If these are set correctly, and it is still not logging to Log4OM, then there is something going on in JTAlert. In that case, the JTAlert forum should get you help.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA