Changing on RTTY mode in radio does not change QSO entry to RTTY

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
wo2x
Novice Class

Changing on RTTY mode in radio does not change QSO entry to RTTY

Post by wo2x »

Hi All,

Flex 6700 with latest SmartSDR which supports RTTY mode. Using OmniRig with the latest SmartSDR.ini file loaded.
When setting radio to RTTY mode the new QSO window shows SSB (previous mode).

There are two underlying issues here. First, OmniRig does not support Flex RTTY mode (mode 30) which should show up as PM_RTTY on Log4OM Communicator. This I can get fixed by Tim, W4TME who maintains the SmartSDR.ini file.

Second is Log4OM does not recognize Digi-L as a valid mode. Communicator shows PM_DIGI_L but Mode for Log is set to SSB.

If I get Tim to have OmniRig report PM_RTTY from the radio to Communicator, can Log4OM be updated to show RTTY for log entry?

Thanks
Dave wo2x
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Changing on RTTY mode in radio does not change QSO entry to RTTY

Post by G4POP »

Thank you for the input but Version 1 is in maintenance mode so any changes of this wont be implemented until Version 2
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Dave,

This is basically a limitation to OmniRig. I have asked Alex the OmniRig author is this can be address, but nothing promised so far. See this thread for an explanation of the issue and some workarounds which might be possible in V2 of Log4OM - viewtopic.php?t=2198

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
wo2x
Novice Class

Post by wo2x »

According to Alex this is not a limitation of OmniRig. The ini file for the Flex has been edited to support pmRTTY and also allow pmRTTY to send mode 30 to the radio (RTTY mode).

The issue is Log4OM does not support pmRTTY.

Even using the ini as-is it still has an issue that Log4OM Communicator shows it receives pmDIGI-L from the radio but sends SSB to the logging entry window. It should at minimum show Digital.

I ran over 150 contacts in the RTTY RoundUp this past weekend only to discover all of them logged and uploaded to various online logs as SSB.

Dave wo2x
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

wo2x wrote:The issue is Log4OM does not support pmRTTY.

Even using the ini as-is it still has an issue that Log4OM Communicator shows it receives pmDIGI-L from the radio but sends SSB to the logging entry window. It should at minimum show Digital.
I have asked Lele to look at this
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

I don't have a PM_RTTY_L or PM_RTTY_U in my list.
It's easy to add, but i need to be sure there is a mode reported by Omnirig as PM_RTTY.

the DIG is set as SSB because there is not a default digital mode. Setting SSB will force the user to examine the situation and set the correct mode.
I can set PSK31 as default, or anything else, but it's wrong as well as SSB...

How the INI reports? PM_RTTY only? or with _U _L ?
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Latest sources for OMNIRIG (2014 :( ) reports that supported modes are:

Code: Select all

ModeParams = [pmCW_U, pmCW_L, pmSSB_U, pmSSB_L, pmDIG_U, pmDIG_L, pmAM, pmFM];
No way to have different modes without recompiling Omnirig (and managing them)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Can anyone supply us with the Flex Omnirig file you refer to because even a fresh download from Omnirig does not contain it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

wo2x wrote:According to Alex this is not a limitation of OmniRig. The ini file for the Flex has been edited to support pmRTTY and also allow pmRTTY to send mode 30 to the radio (RTTY mode).

The issue is Log4OM does not support pmRTTY.

I ran over 150 contacts in the RTTY RoundUp this past weekend only to discover all of them logged and uploaded to various online logs as SSB.

Dave wo2x
Dave,

Let me clarify. You can have your rig switch to any mode of your choice by modifying your rig's xxxx.ini file which OmniRig uses to set the mode of your rig. The limitation of OmniRig which I speak of is that, as Lele has noted, OmniRig has only a pmDig_U and pmDig_L mode in its list of modes. No Digital submodes! So Log4OM has no way of knowing the mode that the rig has switched to by relying on OmniRig. If you read the thread in my previous post, you will see that there could be a workaround built into Log4OM to read the spot notes for a reference to RTTY or PSK, etc. Hopefully that will be possible in V2 of Log4OM. Meanwhile, if OmniRig would expand its digital modes to include common modes like RTTY and PSK, that would be the best solution IMHO.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
wo2x
Novice Class

Post by wo2x »

Ok understood.

How about this for a compromise?

The OmniRig ini file is set for the radio RTTY mode (mode 30 for both sending and receiving CAT commands) to send/receive pmDig_L to Log4OM. Since most digital modes are USB and RTTY is LSB, can Log4OM set the log entry to RTTY as a default for pmDig_L?

I do not know of another digital mode commonly used that operates in LSB.

Does this make sense?

I ran over 150 Q's in the RU contest and all of the automatically uploaded logs were sent as SSB one at a time. I was able to edit and send RTTY to LoTW before uploading.

I'll contact Alex again but he keeps insisting OmniRig supports RTTY mode and not just pmDig_L.

Thanks again for being patient with this new Log4OM user!

Dave wo2x