Distance between stations incorrect

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
M3ngc
Novice Class

Distance between stations incorrect

Post by M3ngc »

New user, so apologies if this has been raised before, however I did search to no avail for an answer IN FORUM & INSTRUCTIONS.

I have managed to install and find my way round most things with the excellent instruction and forum however the distance showing between contacts is wildly inaccurate.

Example; QSO between M3NGC & M3MGP shows a distance of 236.1miles but in reality the distance is only 4 to 500 metres. I have checked locators and station addresses on both accounts via QRZ & HAMQTH and both show correctly.
Did I do something wrong, incorrect setting, brain freeze?.?

Amy help appreciated,
73s de Garry
M3NGC
G4NVB
Advanced Class

Re: Distance between stations incorrect

Post by G4NVB »

Have you set Log4om "My Locator" ?
73 de David G4NVB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Having set your locator (JO01OU) in the Station information tab of Log4OM options the lookup of M3MGP shows 4.6 miles which is about as close as you will get to 100% accuracy using a 6 digit locator- See below
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (121.93 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
Come to the Essex Hams Skills night tomorrow evening to see the Log4OM demonstration
73 Terry G4POP
M3ngc
Novice Class

Post by M3ngc »

Thanks for replies,
My locator is correctly set and these are the screenshots with results
received_10208426118871237.jpeg
received_10208426118871237.jpeg (127.16 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
I incorrectly stated km figures last time instead of miles , but still not showing correctly even though HamQTH has station logged in clacton.
Will try to make meeting tonight Terry.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Garry,
Looking at your screenshot it is clear that the lookup has not been done because there is no locator shown in the F1 QSO Info, Locator field.

This can be for one of two reasons.

I. You are doing the lookup with QRZ but because you don't have a paid for XML subscription, (you are showing on QRZ as a free member Ham Member) without a paid subscription QRZ wont provide the locator information to complete the lookup and fill the F1 Locator field.

2. You have not registered with either HamQTH or QRZCQ or have not entered your user name and password correctly in Log4OM - Without being a registered subscriber neither of these sources will provide the data either.

When the locator data is not being provided by a lookup or manual entry into the F! tab Locator field we don't have a clue where the other station is located so to obtain a rough heading and distance we use a locator based in the centre of the country the prefix applies to - That is the locator value that you are seeing in the small window to the right! You will notice that its nothing like your friends locator and is actually somewhere near Coventry!

Clearly this approximation works fairly well when you are working a station in a foreign country but it is not going to be accurate when working stations in your own country.

The fix is to either pay to subscribe to QRZ for an XML subscription or register with one of the other online lookup facilities
73 Terry G4POP
M3ngc
Novice Class

Post by M3ngc »

Thanks Terry,
Re; 1, defo not a paid member which is why,
2, I am signed up for HamQTH as I was made aware this would be a good move.
Checked signup info to ensure all correct, which it is, will also sign up to QRZCC in the hope that resolves lookup and let you know.
73s Garry
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

M3ngc wrote: will also sign up to QRZCC in the hope that resolves lookup and let you know.
Be aware that QRZCQ has no information on M3MGP so you will not receive any data
73 Terry G4POP
M3ngc
Novice Class

Post by M3ngc »

Quick update Terry,
Installed on my windows 10 machine with no problems, wiped from Vista machine and reinstalled with no problems. Confused but happy it is now running. Thank you for your advice and assistance, sorry I couldnt make it to the skills night but look forward to seeing you at another venue perhaps.
73s Garry