Awards database updating

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
VK2YW
Advanced Class

Awards database updating

Post by VK2YW »

Hi Terry and all,

I was approached by another amateur for some help in getting the WFF award working as mine just works and does it extremely well. I made various suggestions all of which seemed to have failed. The scenario is that this person has all the awards working during a contact except not WFF award. So, logging a VKFF award results in the WFF award not being available in the first drop down. I asked them to update the program - still same problem. Made sure their Locator was in correctly - all to no avail. Also to up date the awards database which appears to work correctly but still the WFF award doesnt appear as an option when logging a contact. I log the same callsign and get all the options.

I have Log4OM on both my Win 10 laptop and main shack machine and it all works fine for me on both but in the process of helping I note that on my laptop I do not have an Awards folder under the root directory but I do under the shack machine. My shack machine has 3 files in there one of which is award_WFF and is 19Mb. The other is award_ and the other is award_SANPCPA. However the laptop does not have this file structure but it works. The other amateur also has the same file structure as my laptop (their laptop) and they are able to confirm that other awards work as they should.

So ...firstly can you tell me why is there a difference and secondly any thoughts on what to try next? If it was just a case of sending my XML WFF file (19Mb) I would but not sure where it would go.

John VK2YW
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Awards database updating

Post by G4POP »

OK John, here come the questions :-)

1. What version of Log4OM is he using - (Helps me to emulate his issue)
2. What version of windows OS is his computer using - (Helps me to emulate his issue)
3. In Utilities/Award manager can he see a WFF : World wide Flora and Fauna award in the list?

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (53.18 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
4. If the award is listed can he see the award references by clicking on the Notepad edit icon indicated above and then selecting the 'Award reference ' tab as shown below

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (59.37 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
5. Does the WFF award selection not appear with any call sign entered VK, W, G, HB, Ve etc

6. Is CAT connected and working when he tries this?

More questions will follow no doubt ;-)
73 Terry G4POP
VK2YW
Advanced Class

Post by VK2YW »

Thanks Terry,

I have sent Linda VK7QP an invitation to join the forum so she can answer the questions. The first one I can ...she has downloaded the latest version 1.28 at my suggestion and the problem is the same. And I believe that in Q5 she tried adding a German station and was able to see all the awards for them except the WFF. Oh ..I was wrong, if she puts in say Paul VK5PAS she does get WFF as an option in the first dropdown but no parks in the second dropdown box. And the XML file is apparently only 1k in size so looks like its not updating for some reason. Anyway ...hopefully she will jump in here and answer the rest of the questions.

As to my question ...why do I have an awards folder on one machine but not on my laptop..both running latest versions of Win 10...only one connected via cat (shack machine)....this is just out of curiosity.

John
VK7QP
Novice Class

Post by VK7QP »

Hello Terry and John
I updated today to the latest version of Log4OM with no change in my situation
I am operating on Windows 10
Yes I can see WWF on the list on the left but get no drop down menu on the right
No there are no award references when I click on the notepad icon
The same is true for VK and german stations.
I can get other awards fine, for both VK and DL. I just seems to be this one that doesn't work.
Don't understand the question about CAT -more info please
Hope this answers all the questions so far - except the last one.
Thanks Linda VK7QP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Linda,
The CAT question is as follows - Is your radio connected to your computer by a cable to enable the frequency, band and mode to be displayed in Log4OM?
73 Terry G4POP
VK7QP
Novice Class

Post by VK7QP »

My computer is not connected to my radio. I have not tried to do this yet.
I am manually entering data and also have uploaded contest data using adif files.
I have entered the parks info in comments and now wish to edit my archive file to record the parks using award manager.
Thanks
Linda
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Linda,
Please send me your email address to g4pop (AT) arrl.net so that I can send you an awards file, its too large to put it on the forum apparently even though its only 635kb.

When you have the file follow the instructions below.

1. Open the Utilities/Award Manager
2.File (Top left corner of window) and select import
3. Select the silt that you saved to the desktop - Click 'Open'
4. Click the save icon in awards manager (Its the black floppy disk)
5. Close the awards manager
6. Restart Log4om

Let me know if you can now see the awards reference list in both the awards manager as described before and also in the 'Club and awards tab (F3)

Once you can see the WWFF award is working OK, to save yourself a lot of manual work you can update any award recorded in the QSO comments and notes fields of the imported QSO's by using our QSO archive manager as follows.

1. Check enable update in the QSO archive manager
2. Select the QSO's with the WWFF information in the comments or notes fields
3, Click 'Field Update'
4. Check the 'Rebuild references from QSO Comments' box
5. Click on 'Execute checks'
6. Repeat the operation above but this time check the 'Rebuild references from QSO Notes' box

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (87.14 KiB) Viewed 6146 times
73 Terry G4POP
VK7QP
Novice Class

Post by VK7QP »

Hi Terry
All understood. I have sent you an email so you can reply to that and include the file for me
Thanks
LInda
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

File just sent to you via email - Unzip it to your desktop and then import it into the awards manager as above
73 Terry G4POP
VK7QP
Novice Class

Post by VK7QP »

Yes everything working fine - including the mass update. Very happy.
Next question then is - as I manually uploaded the wwf file, will it automatically update in future when I click on awards update?
Thanks for your help
Linda