New mode - FT8

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: New mode - FT8

Post by G4POP »

G4DWV - Guy wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 23:18
G4POP wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 06:47 You can do it yourself until this mode becomes a recognised ADIF format, at this time its just another guys modification of Joe Taylors efforts
I believe that T10 HAS been accepted into the ADIF spec. eQSL is now accepting QSOs in this mode and they were waiting until T10 was accepted into the spec until they did.
We are members of the ADIF developers group and it is not accepted and is currently under debate for the next poll about changes and additions which will take place in August.

This does not stop you adding it yourself however?
73 Terry G4POP
K0AY
Old Man

Post by K0AY »

Does this mean when ARRL accepts FT8, we will have to resubmit all of the QSOs that were labeled as DATA to FT8?

Art
K0AY
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

K0AY wrote: 22 Jul 2017, 18:13 Does this mean when ARRL accepts FT8, we will have to resubmit all of the QSOs that were labeled as DATA to FT8?

Art
K0AY
I think I saw an answer to that question on the LOTW reflector that I follow from Yahoo Groups. Take a look over there as well.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

W7DRM wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 05:44
4. Enter in that blank line the following FT8;FT8;FT8 Save the file and close it.

5. Now find the RSTMode.csv file (in same folder), make a copy of it and rename it RSTMode_user.csv. Open up this new file with Notepad or text editor, add to the 3rd line which begins with JT a "|FT" to the end of the text on that line...so the line now reads JT>JT|ROS|FSQ|MSK|FT
Save the file and close it.
I guess I'll be the dummy today, but where in the documentation does it explain how these files work, i.e. what these entries are really set up to do? I searched the manual and found nada explaining these files (modelist.csv and RSTMode.csv and others) and how to configure the lines you are modifying. Unless it's somehow simply obvious to most intelligent people, how do you know what you are doing unless you ask the Most Knowledgeable Masters ... :(
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Firstly you missed the first three steps of Doug's instructions, particularly step one which identifies the location of both files!
The following describes the manual way to add FT8 to two mode files.

1. Open up your Log4OM's configuration folder (Help/Open Configuration Folder).

2. Find modelist.csv file in the folder. Make a copy of this file and rename the copy modelist_user.csv.

3. Open up modelist_user.csv with notepad or text editor. find a place in the file where you want the FT8 mode to appear in the list - like after FSK441... and insert a blank line.

4. Enter in that blank line the following FT8;FT8;FT8 Save the file and close it.

5. Now find the RSTMode.csv file (in same folder), make a copy of it and rename it RSTMode_user.csv. Open up this new file with Notepad or text editor, add to the 3rd line which begins with JT a "|FT" to the end of the text on that line...so the line now reads JT>JT|ROS|FSQ|MSK|FT
Save the file and close it.

6. Restart Log4OM and you should be able to manually log FT8 contacts, set the FT8 mode, and set the appropriate signal report.

Then you missed the next post in that same thread that pointed to the download of the updated files to avoid you having to modify the files yourself!

In the Log4OM Options 'Select config' tab there is a check box marked 'Enable expert mode' which makes it possible for you to modify the 'Modes' file from within the program - See pages 35 and 36 of the user guide.

Please bear in mind that FT8 was only released to the public about 3 weeks ago and at this time neither ADIF or LOTW have included the mode in their definitions and to my knowledge only Log4OM, HRD and DXLabs have updated their software to cover it.

Our user guide is no longer being updated on a daily basis because of the development of Version 2.0 but these types of amended instructions are posted as soon as possible to this forum and detailed instructions of how to update these files by either editing them or overwriting with the latest file versions is well documented on this forum as a search will reveal.
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

No, I'm asking about how the internals of the files work! What are the listings in the files for - what do they actually do, such as this -

JT>JT|ROS|FSQ|MSK|FT

Do you understand what I want to learn about? There is no place in the documentation that explains it (that I could find). If I'm not supposed to ask about this then I apologize, but I'm trying to understand the program!
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N5INP wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 14:48 No, I'm asking about how the internals of the files work! What are the listings in the files for - what do they actually do, such as this -

JT>JT|ROS|FSQ|MSK|FT

Do you understand what I want to learn about? There is no place in the documentation that explains it (that I could find). If I'm not supposed to ask about this then I apologize, but I'm trying to understand the program!
This file ensures that the correct type of RST report is provided in the drop down list of RST values according to the mode in use

So JT>JT|ROS|FSQ|MSK|FT is saying - Use the values in the JT RST list when modes ROS, FSQ, MSK or FT are selected in the drop down list of modes or when the mode is set to these values by an external source (JTAlert etc)
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

G4POP wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 14:51
N5INP wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 14:48 No, I'm asking about how the internals of the files work! What are the listings in the files for - what do they actually do, such as this -

JT>JT|ROS|FSQ|MSK|FT

This file ensures that the correct type of RST report is provided in the drop down list of RST values according to the mode in use

Yes, but HOW does it work? I'm trying to understand what the text commands like this DO -

JT>JT|ROS|FSQ|MSK|FT

^^^ That means almost nothing to me. Is there a document that EXPLAINS how this type of file works, as pertains to the main program. What are the commands doing? What do they mean? If I'm not supposed to know this then I guess that's OK, but isn't there an explanation of HOW it works? :(
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Easy way to implement correct RST & Mode for FT8 and (for users of JTDX) T10 ....
Unpack the attached file and copy the 2 files into your Log4OM configuration
folder .....

After restart you will have FT8 and T10 (former JT10) in your dropdown modes menu.
You will have also correct RST for T10 too ....

B.t.w. change older JT10 contacts to T10. This is the new name for this
mode which was created by the JTDX programmer.

;) ;)

FT8_T10_ Update.rar
(920 Bytes) Downloaded 330 times
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

Hi,

Many thanks for posting this file.

It is strange that FT8 got officially added to the Log4OM config files and T10 was not, after ADIF 3.0.6 was approved.
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.