New mode - FT8

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
MM0XXW
Novice Class

New mode - FT8

Post by MM0XXW »

Is it possible to manually add this mode or will this have to wait for a later update?
Regards,
Martyn-MM0XXW
(MM1X in contests)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: New mode - FT8

Post by G4POP »

A search of this forum revealed this and other threads on the subject!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2917&p=16324&hilit=FT8#p16324

See the files that I posted to resolve your issue for this new mode, that was only released to the public last week and is not yet an acknowledged ADIF field or supported by LOTW
73 Terry G4POP
KI1U
Novice Class

Post by KI1U »

So I have no problem logging FT8 QSO's from WSJT-X/JTAlertX. However, if I manually enter a FT8 QSO into Log4OM v 1.28.0 I cannot put the mode as FT8. How do I go about doing this?
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

KI1U wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 01:49 So I have no problem logging FT8 QSO's from WSJT-X/JTAlertX. However, if I manually enter a FT8 QSO into Log4OM v 1.28.0 I cannot put the mode as FT8. How do I go about doing this?
See next post for easier way to get FT8 mode.

The following describes the manual way to add FT8 to two mode files.

1. Open up your Log4OM's configuration folder (Help/Open Configuration Folder).

2. Find modelist.csv file in the folder. Make a copy of this file and rename the copy modelist_user.csv.

3. Open up modelist_user.csv with notepad or text editor. find a place in the file where you want the FT8 mode to appear in the list - like after FSK441... and insert a blank line.

4. Enter in that blank line the following FT8;FT8;FT8 Save the file and close it.

5. Now find the RSTMode.csv file (in same folder), make a copy of it and rename it RSTMode_user.csv. Open up this new file with Notepad or text editor, add to the 3rd line which begins with JT a "|FT" to the end of the text on that line...so the line now reads JT>JT|ROS|FSQ|MSK|FT
Save the file and close it.

6. Restart Log4OM and you should be able to manually log FT8 contacts, set the FT8 mode, and set the appropriate signal report.

Let us know if you run into difficulty.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

If you don't want to mess with modifying these files (above), Terry has provided a link to download the two modified files in a zip file. Just copy these two files to your Log4OM configuration folder - (Help/Open configuration folder).

Link to FT8 mode files - download/file.php?id=1542

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
MM0XXW
Novice Class

Post by MM0XXW »

Thank you gentlemen works perfectly :)

Trouble I had was when I wanted to tidy up the contact details the mode would disappear after saving as, of course, it wasn't in the list however now is all good 8-)
Regards,
Martyn-MM0XXW
(MM1X in contests)
KI1U
Novice Class

Post by KI1U »

Thanks, that did the trick! I added those files and initially wasn't seeing FT8 in the drop down menu. Then noticed the menu wasn't in order, found FT8 just past the JT modes. All works fine now.
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

Could these files please be modified for the T10 mode as well please?

Thanks
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4DWV - Guy wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 06:02 Could these files please be modified for the T10 mode as well please?

Thanks
You can do it yourself until this mode becomes a recognised ADIF format, at this time its just another guys modification of Joe Taylors efforts

See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2899&hilit=FT8 to read how to add this mode and the matching RST list
73 Terry G4POP
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

G4POP wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 06:47 You can do it yourself until this mode becomes a recognised ADIF format, at this time its just another guys modification of Joe Taylors efforts
Hi Terry,

I believe that T10 HAS been accepted into the ADIF spec. eQSL is now accepting QSOs in this mode and they were waiting until T10 was accepted into the spec until they did.

Igor has done considerably more than you intimate from your post. He has made considerable improvements to the decoding of JT65 and JT9. I no longer use WSJT-X even though I build the dev versions from source. JTDX consistently gives more decodes than WSJT-X in both modes. Personally, I do not like FT8, the overs are too fast, so much so that WSJT-X now automates most of the QSO. JT himself said that they purposely did not have the program going off TX at the end of a QSO as he did not want WSJT-X to become an automatic QSO maker.

Mni tnx es 73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.