No communicator icon in task bar

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
VK6CR
Novice Class

No communicator icon in task bar

Post by VK6CR »

I have been merrily using LOG4OM for a while now, recently updated to the current version. Fairly simple setup, just JTAlert and either JTDX or WSJT-X, no rotator control or cluster stuff. Logging has been fine and uploading QSO etc. has all worked fine. Until last night that is. I started to get logging errors from JTAlert that indicated communicator wasn't running. Too late to start trouble shooting, so left it until today.

Went through everything I could think of. According to Log4OM communicator TCP and WCF was up and running. Took a while, then I realised the obvious, the Communicator icon wasn't showing on the task bar. That only clicked when I realised that I couldn't open the communicator config window.

To the best of my recall the setup worked fine after I installed JTAlert 2.10 and I cannot think of anything I've changed to cause this to occur. Could some kind soul please put me out of my misery???? I have even read the manual!

Windows 10 64 bit
Log4OM 1.28 (reinstalled it just in case)
73 Ian VK6CR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: No communicator icon in task bar

Post by G4POP »

You need to install Log4OM as an administrator

Right click on installer and select 'Run as an administrator'
73 Terry G4POP
VK6CR
Novice Class

Post by VK6CR »

I've never run it as anything else. As I mentioned, I've read through the manual and I have been using the program without issue for some time. The shortcut shows its admin mode and a check of the properties confirms that. Checked the anti-virus, but its not blocked anything. Every Log4OM indication is that communicator is enabled, including being able to select the stop button, but no icon and the message from JTAlert stating communicator isn't running.

I'll try another install, just in case, but I've been running the current version for quite a while.

Its got me really scratching my head.
73 Ian VK6CR
VK6CR
Novice Class

Post by VK6CR »

Gone through a re-install (just running the installer) and an 'uninstall' and install with pc restarts. Communicator icon popped up only once and then I got a Windows message that communicator had crashed. Only appeared once, after the first re-install. However watching task manager confirms the communicator is loading then closing. Running communicator manually, both with and without Log4OM running results in communicator appearing on task manager for around 4 seconds, then closing.

Confirming that run as administrator is selected and for 'all users'.

UPDATE:
The Log4OM log shows communicator is being started on each occasion. Log and Windows error reports attached.
communicator crash details.txt
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Log4OM_log_20170728.txt
(34.99 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
73 Ian VK6CR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I assume that you already tried turning off firewalls and anti virus software so my guess is that one or more of your config files have got corrupted

Try renaming the folder LogOM to LogOMOLD which is located at C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming\LogOM and then do a fresh install.

Just fill in the minimum details of call sign and locator and then see if you can start and run the communicator.

If it all works then we can go forward by relocating the files from LogOMOLD to LogOM slowly until we find the corrupt one.
73 Terry G4POP
VK6CR
Novice Class

Post by VK6CR »

Thanks Terry, tried that (confirming with av disabled) and no joy. Went a stage further, ran uninstall again and renamed the OM folder in Program Files (x86) just in case of hidden files. Ran install again after deletion of the roaming directory , once again no joy.

Manual running of communicator same as before i.e. runs a few secs then fails.

As as far as I know, no new installs were made between communicator running fine and communicator failing this week, so that leaves the possibility of a Windows update or some other app that auto-updates. I'm stumped.

I see somebody had a similar problem recently that thought might have been down to a SDR install, unfortunately he hasn't yet posted any outcome.

I'm tossing up whether to try a rollback to an earlier date and see if something has crept in this week.
73 Ian VK6CR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

There have been reports of the latest Windows Update screwing up all sorts of things including USB ports so a roll back could be a good idea.

Perhaps you can help me?
I have been trying to get in touch with Outbacker the people that make the aerials and although I get a read receipt back in response to my emails I never get a reply!

Has Terry packed it all in and is not even having the curtesy to reply to his customers?
73 Terry G4POP
VK6CR
Novice Class

Post by VK6CR »

He seems to be still up and running according to this web site: http://outbacker.biz/About-Us/about-us.html

I don't know if this phone number is still current: (08) 9455 4288
73 Ian VK6CR
VK6CR
Novice Class

Post by VK6CR »

Won't even let me do a restore now. Error message says it can't access a file. Time to switch back to Linux!
73 Ian VK6CR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

OMG what Windows OS are you using?

Do you have Teamviewer installed?
73 Terry G4POP